chatter
  • across the chessboard
  • welcome
    welcome to across the chessboard! we're an alice in wonderland based site with an original plot and slight modern dystopian twist and canon characters from alice's adventures in wonderland and through the looking glass and what alice found there, both by lewis carroll. for a longer summary, please visit our information center here. if you have any questions, feel free to give an admin a shout in the cbox (it's to your left- just click the chatter button and it should pop open). again, welcome, and we hope you join us!

it is currently summer 2015 in london.
    it is currently summer-ish in wonderland.

• stats & info
    Wonderland wasn't always this way. There was a time when it mirrored medieval England, albeit with a few magical elements: a few quirks and eccentricities that made it truly unique. While all feared the Queen's mercurial temper and the fine blade of her Guillotine, all was well, until a little girl named Alice Liddell disturbed the status quo and sparked a revolution. The kingdom began to fall into decay as the taint of the modern world invaded. History is beginning to repeat itself and no one is happy. As the Queen of Hearts tangles in a battle of wits and riddles with the Cheshire Cat, the rest are starting to wonder ... is it true that the White Rabbit is bringing humans to Wonderland when they themselves are banned from going to London?

myrmidones of the queen — 12/∞ 
    myrmidones of the cat — 08/∞ 
    unaffiliated — 09/∞ 
  • featured
    asya
    fintan
    character
    judas
    male
    aria
    female
    jacqueline & maixent
    pairing
    empty gold
    thread

Add Reply
New Poll

made your misery my goal, tagged: fintan
judas alvarez
 Posted: Mar 30 2015, 05:42 PM
“Chaos isn’t a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail, and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some are given a chance to climb, but refuse. They cling to the realm, or love, or the gods…illusions. Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is. But they’ll never know this. Not until it’s too late.”
?BlackCHESHIRE CAT42 postsapplicationplotting
judas alvarez

The deepest part of the Tulgey Wood was oppressively dark at any given time, and while outside of the wood it was late morning, the sun high in the sky and warmth in abundance- you would think it the middle of a winter night once you stepped into the Tulgey. It was cold, a bitter chill seeming to hang on the lifeless air as thorns curled about ones feet, the darkness making it almost impossible to see through without aide, and the further you walked into the mass of trees and thorns the harder it seemed to find your way out. There was a kind of stifling, smothering feel to the air, a kind of sinister intent from the very trees themselves... there was something sick in the forest, something very wrong that became more and more apparent the deeper into the wood you went.

Only one creature seemed wholly content to linger in the depths, only one creature had sought to make his home there. Of course, when the mansion had been constructed... the Tulgey had been a whimsical, homely place. No longer.

Neither was he.

The Cheshire lay across a low hanging branch, content to bask in the darkness it seemed- though a few brave fireflies lingered about the cat, offering a feeble glow to enhance already well-adjusted eyes. He was in his original form, or as close as he deigned to go these days; the beast resting in the tree was more akin to a striped panther than a house cat, large in stature with huge paws boasting lengthy claws, and big purple eyes currently shut as a rumbling purr echoed in the small clearing about him. A long, oddly prehensile tail curled about the base of the branch, only to release and swing twice before grasping it once more.

The picture of contentment on a monster in a monstrous setting.

Who would dare spoil the creature's rest?

so if you want survival, kneel on my arrival, for this is how i rule the world
PMEmail
^
fintan travers
 Posted: Apr 1 2015, 03:50 PM
flashing lights & we took a wrong turn & we fell down a rabbit hole you held on tight to me cause nothing's as it seems i'm spinning out of control didn't they tell us don't rush into things haven't you heard what becomes of curious minds we found wonderland you & i got lost in it & we pretended it could last forever
37Greywhite rabbit42 postsapplicationplotting
fintan travers

His last trip through the Rabbit Hole had been tiring. Perhaps, maybe, that was an understatement, Fintan reflected as he lay sideways across his bed, shirt untucked and shoes scattered somewhere on the floor of his bedroom. It was taxing, his bones aching with the sheer exhaustion of pushing himself much too hard this week. Six trips there and back over the past few days, more out of necessity than anything. Someone was always requiring his attention or his knowledge or whatever ungrateful yappy gasbags wanted these days. And Fintan was exhausted.

He hadn’t seen much of anyone recently, he realized after a rare moment of feeling out how badly his muscles were cramping. Nothing but a portal and his pocket watch to keep him company. His extraversion, a concept he hadn’t a name for until London taught it to him, was suddenly protesting the lazing about, as much as he needed rest. Ever the glutton for pain, he pushed himself up, dragged a hand down his face, and got up to make himself somewhat presentable.

Without a thought, his feet led him down to Tulgey, into the thick, menacing woods that housed one particularly particular cat. He understood the appeal of the darkness, of the very warped aura infused into the forest, twisting even the trees and sunlight. For a quick respite from the oh so very happy Royal City and somewhat optimistic Queen, Fintan would sometimes walk along the edge of Tulgey. As corrupt as it was, there was a magic that had leeched out of everywhere else. More often than not, Fintan wondered if it was connected to Alice and Judas’ penchant for greeting her from above, perched on tree branches with that ridiculous grin of his.

As he approached Judas’ mansion, barely discernable in what little light emanated from around them, he was careful to slow his steps. Judas was prone to irritation these days, perhaps more so than ever before, and Fintan didn’t want claws of any kind sinking into his neck. He found Judas high up in the trees. Fintan almost felt bad about waking him. Almost. Instead, he situated himself under Judas’ tree branch, looked around before tipping his head back, and letting out a soft sound of distress, reaching deep inside himself to warp it into something rabbit-ish. “I would think mice look small from up there,” he joked softly, knowing full well Judas had his full eyesight in working order while in his original form.

All these kinds of places Make it seem like it's been ages Tomorrow some new building will scrape the sky I love this country dearly But I never thought I'd be alone to try - - - - -
PMEmail
^
judas alvarez
 Posted: Apr 7 2015, 06:45 AM
“Chaos isn’t a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail, and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some are given a chance to climb, but refuse. They cling to the realm, or love, or the gods…illusions. Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is. But they’ll never know this. Not until it’s too late.”
judas alvarez

The echo of distance footfalls was enough to alert the cat to an uninvited presence within the wood, his wood… yet he did not stir. For the moment, he was quite content to remain in some semblance of sleep, to wait and see who it was that had deigned to come and visit him in these dark depths. Eyes remained stubbornly closed, and that purr began to sound once more as he let himself fall into a light slumber, ears laced back against his skull, tail returning to its silent routine, swish and grab, swish and grab- until a familiar sound carried up into the branches from the underbrush below.

Rabbit.

Fintan.

Large eyes opened in the gloom, like two dimly glowing bulbs as they looked down at the figure below him, unblinking and intense in their stare. “Everything looks small.” He murmured, taking a moment to observe the state of the man before making further comment. Everyone looks small.”

Rising to a crouch, there seemed to be something altogether more predatory in the swing of his tail, hackles rising as a low chuckle reverberated from his chest cavity, seeming to echo somewhat in the clearing. The dull glow of his eyes cast a gleam across unsheathed claws and for a moment, it seemed rather as though he was readying to pounce on the poor rabbit. Teeth shone in a familiar crescent grin and he promptly vanished.

“What brings you to visit me, dear Fintan?”

Though his body had faded into the ether- the sound of his voice suggested that the cat had not moved at all, simply chosen to become a shade for the time being.

“It’s been a while… you look tired.”

While an expression of concern from any other- those words falling from the lips of the Cheshire only served to sound threatening; an acknowledgement of weakness, of something to exploit. Fintan could be tentatively counted among those precious few Judas might consider friends… the faded thread about the man’s wrist might well be testament to that. Yet even a tamed predator could turn vicious on a whim, and wild animals could never truly be befriended.

Even Fintan would never allow himself to become fully complacent in the company of the cat.

PMEmail
^
fintan travers
 Posted: Apr 15 2015, 09:52 PM
flashing lights & we took a wrong turn & we fell down a rabbit hole you held on tight to me cause nothing's as it seems i'm spinning out of control didn't they tell us don't rush into things haven't you heard what becomes of curious minds we found wonderland you & i got lost in it & we pretended it could last forever
fintan travers

Friendship wasn’t a word Fintan used lightly. For anyone to know Fintan past his public persona of charming if enigmatic socialite was a great extension of trust on Fintan’s part. He’d always been very private, preferring to keep his personal problems close to his chest. Furthermore, he simply didn’t trust anyone, so sharing wasn’t a daily activity. There were few exceptions to this rule and Judas was perhaps the greatest exception.

Fintan couldn’t tell you when they became something beyond two creatures simply living in the same world. They were both active in political affairs, each in their own way, and had crossed paths many times over the years. If Fintan had to pin it on a single moment, it would be the Incident at Bedlam of 1934 (the one we don’t talk about); Alice had pushed the pair into each other’s paths more often than not after her arrival and her death only kept them gravitating in the other’s sphere.

Standing underneath the tree Judas was perched in, Fintan reflected on how anyone else would be terrified out of their skull, the Duchess and maybe Noah notwithstanding. He watched Judas slowly fade into the shadows behind him, a smile on his face as he did a small circle in place around the clearing, checking out his surroundings. He snorted as Judas took note of his physical appearance.

“I could say the same of you,” he replied, eyes watching the trees below Judas, body in the Cat’s general direction. “Didn’t take you as the napping type.” His senses were on alert, knowing Judas could turn dark with a change in the breeze, but for the moment, he felt semi-comfortable that the Cat would play fair. He just had a very high advantage at the moment.

“No particular reason. Didn’t feel like being alone. Wonderland is much to spread out after coming from the streets of London.” He cast a knowing glance up at Judas. “Interesting company I choose to keep, it seems.”

All these kinds of places Make it seem like it's been ages Tomorrow some new building will scrape the sky I love this country dearly But I never thought I'd be alone to try - - - - -
PMEmail
^
judas alvarez
 Posted: Apr 26 2015, 07:21 AM
judas alvarez

The Cat’s amusement sounded in the clearing, echoing amongst the skeletal trees and bouncing off the decrepit walls of the crumbling mansion. “All manner of creatures require sleep, Fintan. Be it fleeting, or months locked away in a den as snow falls around us.” Despite the ever present growl in the Cat’s tone (once a purr, perhaps it was still, in a way), he sounded quite content with the conversation, remaining hidden from sight as it was conducted.

Fintan’s reasons for seeking him out seemed to puzzle the feline, for he fell quiet for a long while- allowing the silence to fall thick upon them like a smothering blanket, before those large eyes opened again out of the gloom, directly before Fintan’s face. Though they were lacking any sign of a pupil in this moment, they seemed to be focused upon him, almost disapproving.

“Indeed.”

Thick, dark purple smoke billowed around the eyes and engulfed them, the Cat shielded for a moment before it dissipated, leaving a man in its wake. He was shorter than Fintan by a good few inches, though seemed entirely comfortable, no sign of annoyance in having to look up at the former rabbit. If anything, he seemed to retain a great deal of control in the situation, every movement made (a knowing smile, a step closer) elegant and refined, echoing power.

He was dressed in an all-black suit with a deep purple tie the only sign of colour, save for a faded plait of string around one thin wrist.

“And how is London? I miss it.”

Judas smiled, showing teeth as he stared up at the other man; he resented his friend for being able to travel between the two worlds, and while Fintan had been more than accommodating in fulfilling his requests, the Cat longed to step foot on London soil once more. There had been such promise there… such potential, and then the Queen had spoiled it all, like the flighty child she was.

PMEmail
^
fintan travers
 Posted: May 18 2015, 09:14 PM
fintan travers

“You seem like the type to be ephemeral enough to not need sleep,” Fintan stated. His fingers found a piece of lint in one pocket, a coin in another, and he played with both as Judas eventually made his way out of the tree. It was all very dramatic, with billowing smoke and appearing in front of Fintan with a devilish grin. If it were literally anyone else — even Queen Jacqueline herself — Fintan would’ve rolled his eyes. In Judas’ company, he refrained. Truly, Judas was the only creature in all of Wonderland whom Fintan feared. In some sense, it was a honor for Judas on his part.

Fintan slowly licked his lips, his thoughts wandering around the various humans he was currently courting down the rabbit hole. “London is as herself as ever. A new iPhone just came out. The royal family is about to have a baby. One of the favored names is Alice.” Every so often, Fintan would give Judas meaningless updates on London — nothing substantial, little trivial things that truly did not capture the flavor of the city. He had no idea if it drove Judas crazy, though it couldn’t be too annoying — Fintan was still alive with all ten toes attached to his feet after all.

Still, the royal family tidbit might’ve been a tad too much. When Fintan first heard the list of names bookies were favoring for the new royal baby — Charlotte and Alexandra also topping the list — he nearly lost it in peals of ironic laughter. Princess Alice. That would’ve been a shock to Judas if the Cat had ever landed back in London. Tilting his head, still lost in these thoughts, he added, “London is London. I’m sure you miss it. Nothing quite like it around here.”

PMEmail
^
judas alvarez
 Posted: Jul 27 2015, 04:01 PM
judas alvarez

“Perhaps,” The Cat mused- as he reappeared before Fintan, considering the Rabbit's words. Indeed, he slept very little, though be it out of need or habit even he wasn’t quite sure. Quietly, he listened as Fintan spoke of London- a flicker of jealousy in the depths of those dark eyes as he leered closer, teeth bared in a grim smile- perhaps a little too sharp, a little too threatening- as he paid the man his full attention. The mention of that name brought forth a glimmer of something else to his expression as he turned away, choosing to walk a misleadingly idle circle about his companion, pretending to take note of his appearance when in truth- it was a distraction tactic. Fintan would never know the lengths Judas went not to disembowel him, at times...

When he returned to Fintan's front, Judas maintained his grin- and, thankfully- it seemed a little less menacing.

“An interesting choice of name, to be sure… do keep me updated.”

The Rabbit was indeed correct- Judas missed London, sometimes even found himself craving the city. The people there were foolish, idealistic creatures… bringing the world around them to ruin with no outside influence. Their demons were of their own creation and yet they so often sought others to blame. They were a fledgling, naive race and he'd taken such pleasure in watching their demise: like mayflies, their lives were fleeting, and so often pointless. Only Alice had ever been worth something, a truly divine specimen amongst the mortals… and he'd been curious to see if her like would ever be repeated.

“No, perhaps that is why dear Jacqueline closed the portals. She knew she could not compete.”

The Queen of Wonderland, jealous of a human city? Not so foolish a notion, really.

PMEmail
^
fintan travers
 Posted: Aug 17 2015, 01:39 AM
fintan travers

He wondered if he'd said too much when Judas seemingly ignored his updates, instead taking a minute to circle around Fintan, like a cat seizing up his prey. Fintan clasped his hands behind his back and bowed his head, looking down at his feet as he shifted in place. Judas's gaze was always unsettling — at times even borderline creepy — and Fintan had a lot of practice with it under his belt. Let the Cat think he was unnerved. It was better than admitting Fintan had overcome a lot of his wariness under Judas's scrutiny.

Tilting his head a fraction of an inch, Fintan nodded. "I will. You were the first I thought of when I heard the rumors. I put money in against it. It's not what I would expect for a British Princess. Maybe a Wonderland Princess, if any of the Royals dared." He paused, laughing to himself. "Then again, our lovely Queen is currently without an heir and seems to be in no rush to rectify that, so we may never find out if she'd make such a move."

Speaking of whom. . . . Fintan nodded, eyes assessing Judas carefully. Dare he spill anything more about London? . . . No, best to let Judas munch on what he had for a while. Not that he cared about London, per say, but that Judas seemed to take everything about the human world to interest, a leftover habit from Alice's day. "I've heard she closed the portals because the King preferred the humans over her." His mouth quirked in a smile. "But then again, they've seem to be having issues for quite some time now. I doubt closing the portals helped her cause in any way."

PMEmail
^
judas alvarez
 Posted: Sep 13 2015, 03:17 PM
judas alvarez

“I have often wondered if the Queen is indeed incapable of it,” He said simply, as casual as discussing the weather while dark eyes lifted to the sky in thought. “It seems most curious that a Queen would not want to produce an heir, to secure her lineage… that is of course, unless she is concerned about the paternity.” He left it there, seeming not to care if Fintan ran with the idea or not, it was tossed into the wind as an idle comment, and he was more than content to follow the (slight) change in subject.

Oh certainly, he'd had his suspicions as to the true reason behind the closing of the portal, and he chuckled as Fintan spoke of them so readily. “As have I… I imagine it's jealousy and stubbornness that keeps them closed. If she can't have him, neither can London…” The Cat shook his head once, mock disapproval flickering across his face- betrayed only by the ever-present glint of amusement in his eyes. “These feelings, Fintan… they're all so terribly inconvenient. Taking London from us all, simply because one woman doesn't feel secure in her relationship…”

He moved in close, chuckling as he reached up to brush imaginary dust from the Rabbit's shoulder, head somewhat tilted. “I don't know why they make it so complicated for themselves. Tying themselves down like so, only to whine and cry when they cannot free themselves to do as they please. It could be so very simple, if one ignores the complexities of love and follows the simplicity of lust.”

It was bold, it was direct, and it was effortlessly careless.

PMEmail
^
fintan travers
 Posted: Sep 30 2015, 03:13 PM
fintan travers

"Truthfully, in the grand scheme of things, our dear Queen hasn't been on the throne all that long. A couple human decades isn't all that long for us," Fintan mused. It didn't escape him that he was playing devil's advocate. Probably because a part of him enjoyed the back and forth he got out of Judas as a result. "Still, if her martial problems continue for any length of time longer, any heir will be that much farther away and she does grow older with every passing day."

His tone was perhaps laced with an edge of conspiracy, his eyes dancing with mischief. There was a chance Judas would acknowledge that. The upside to Alice's death had been the reveal of who Judas was now — a cold, ruthless thing that Fintan had always suspected lay underneath the whole time. Bedlam had been satisfying to him in more ways than one.

"You ever try to have a personal conversation with her?" Fintan felt the itch of needing a cigarette come over him and he stuffed his hands into his pockets, balling them into fists to stave off the anxiety. "There are about three things you can talk to her about without shutting her down. I'd say stubborn is an understatement."

And then Judas was suddenly in his personal space and if Fintan hadn't already been stiff with nerves, he would've flattened out like an upright board. "Feelings have their place," he said, trying not be overt when he swallowed. Whatever Judas was up to, being so close set Fintan on edge. He wanted to say it was because of less time to get away if the Cat tried anything, but he couldn't say that was fully it . . . he just couldn't put his finger on what it really was. His eyes flicked from Judas's fingers against his shoulder to some spot just over Judas's head. "But I will admit that life is a lot simpler without them."

PMEmail
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules Collapse  

skinned exclusively for across the chessboard by asya