chatter
  • across the chessboard
  • welcome
    welcome to across the chessboard! we're an alice in wonderland based site with an original plot and slight modern dystopian twist and canon characters from alice's adventures in wonderland and through the looking glass and what alice found there, both by lewis carroll. for a longer summary, please visit our information center here. if you have any questions, feel free to give an admin a shout in the cbox (it's to your left- just click the chatter button and it should pop open). again, welcome, and we hope you join us!

it is currently summer 2015 in london.
    it is currently summer-ish in wonderland.

• stats & info
    Wonderland wasn't always this way. There was a time when it mirrored medieval England, albeit with a few magical elements: a few quirks and eccentricities that made it truly unique. While all feared the Queen's mercurial temper and the fine blade of her Guillotine, all was well, until a little girl named Alice Liddell disturbed the status quo and sparked a revolution. The kingdom began to fall into decay as the taint of the modern world invaded. History is beginning to repeat itself and no one is happy. As the Queen of Hearts tangles in a battle of wits and riddles with the Cheshire Cat, the rest are starting to wonder ... is it true that the White Rabbit is bringing humans to Wonderland when they themselves are banned from going to London?

myrmidones of the queen — 12/∞ 
    myrmidones of the cat — 08/∞ 
    unaffiliated — 09/∞ 
  • featured
    asya
    fintan
    character
    judas
    male
    aria
    female
    jacqueline & maixent
    pairing
    empty gold
    thread

Add Reply
New Poll

the invisible man, attn: eun-ki
sophie webster
 Posted: Aug 24 2015, 06:38 PM
Three little birds sat on my window And they told me I don't need to worry Summer came like cinnamon, so sweet
20Redpansy32 postsapplicationplotting
sophie webster

There was a time for reading poems, for grass stains on her knees while planting tulips in the flower garden. It wasn’t a new experience for her to have visited the Royal City Library; there wasn’t enough poetry in the world that could satiate her need. Her human feet were rather convenient now as she made her way into the library, as a frequent reader, the books appeared to be where she left it last. She looked down at John Keats’ collection in her arms, gave it a squeeze to her chest, and placed it back onto its proper place on the shelf. Her eyes scanned the leather bound spines of the ancient treasures, fingers grazed over the names of immortalized poets and their legacies. What would it be like to be able to live amongst these books, to be one of the greatest poets of Wonderland? London?

Sophie crossed her arms across her chest, scarcely knowing what to do next. “Pillowed upon my fair love’s ripening breast, to feel forever its soft fall and swell…” She breathed the words of Keats, wondering how he had written this for his lover. What would it be like to be someone to have warranted such striking words? She squeezed her body close to her before backing away from the bookshelf, stopping when she felt her heel touch the opposite shelf. Poetry had a way of planting itself into her mind, appealing to her tongue before she actually had the conscious decision to put it into actual words. It was involuntary; her mouth’s motion for voicing glorious one-liners was out of her control. She pressed the tips of her hand to her lips, wishing it would stay silent.

How could something so beautiful be kept in only books? She continued to let her eyes roam where they will. “Awake forever in a sweet unrest.” Clouds formed behind her eyes. “Still, still, to hear her tender taken breath. And so live ever, or else swoon to death.” Her lips continued to move against the press of her fingers. She closed her eyes, picturing the sky above her when she had been a little pansy. The breeze brushed her petals and it felt… There were no human words that could quite describe; it was a feeling only a flower could experience. She opened her eyes, her heart aching from the memory, she felt like she was missing pieces of herself; almost could feel her ghost petals where they should have been.

be a saint not a sinner
PM
^
seol eun-ki
 Posted: Aug 25 2015, 05:21 PM
n/a
27RedPencil Bird11 postsapplicationplotting
seol eun-ki

There was a time in Eun-ki's life where things weren't so predictable. Ongoing weeks he wasn't altogether sure where he'd wake up or if he'd find shelter before some big monsoon. And then the times before falling into the portal. When weeks bled into months into years and nothing ever changed. Before Alice, before the mania of the human world when he might not realize time had passed at all. Sometimes, secretly, Eun-ki craved those days. Before he had a name, before he had expectations of life. When he could make misleading signs and nap in the boughs for who knew how long. There was an ease in life, a lack of drive.

Living without a purpose, that's what it was.

Eun-ki stood atop a low ladder, feather duster in hand. Yes, at times like this he missed traveling the world or dozing in the tulgey wood - before it went all creepy. Books accumulated so much dust in just a week, especially when few people came to visit them. And of course Eun-ki had a vision of great floor-to-ceiling shelves, turning much of the building into a grand maze of tomes and human fantasies. Beautiful idea on paper. But set into motion? A lot more upkeep than one might expect, especially one so foolhardy as Eun-ki. But he didn't mind taking care of the books. He loved them and had been a front-runner in their acquisition. He read nearly all the books under his care, save most of the 'fiction' works. But nothing boiled the blood like slipping through the portal and finding oneself in Cairo or seeing the Americas--especially the southern countries.

The ladder was the type that rolled along a track attached to the bookshelf, so Eun-ki simply had to push himself to the next section of shelves. He nearly toppled, cursed loudly, and continued to dust from top to bottom. When his soles hit the rich carpet, he wiped the sweat from his forehead with the back of his wrist. Exhausting, but he'd finally finished this section. Unfortunately, plenty of dust remained. Dust clung to his velvet trousers and white peasant shirt - one of those strange human shirts popular in the seventies, if Eun-ki recalled correctly. No use trying to clean it up, since he had the rest of the building to take care of.

He meandered to the next area, skipping romance for now. That was a section less dusty, mostly because it was a popular section. Eun-ki tried not to think about it too hard. He moved toward the poetry section when he heard a soft voice. Brows tugged together, he padded into the section, duster clutched to his chest as though it might prove a weapon if need be. But no strange intruder - as if there was such a thing at a library, he reminded himself - instead he saw a girl. He might have seen her around, but Eun-ki had no memory for faces. Add to that his near-compulsive focus when working, there was a chances he could have sat next to him for hours before and he never noticed she was there. But he noticed now and smiled as she quoted something - she must have been, or else he'd have to pick her brain and learn her secrets for eloquent speech off the top of her head.

Well. He liked readers of all types. "Hello there!" He attempted to keep his voice low but it was doubtful that ploy worked. Decades in this human fashioned body and still he got things wrong. "Anything I can help you with?" He beamed and flashed his teeth - humans did that, he remembered. Especially the men when they were peacocking. He clung to his duster and the feathers tickled his chin, dust accosting his nose. He sneezed and grimaced, rubbing his face with a hand covered in dust. And sneezed again. So maybe he should have cleaned up first.

There's no sense in telling me the wisdom of a fool won't set you free
PM
^
sophie webster
 Posted: Aug 27 2015, 11:27 PM
Three little birds sat on my window And they told me I don't need to worry Summer came like cinnamon, so sweet
sophie webster

Startled, she took a quick step back into the bookshelf, pressing her body against its dusty contents. She had thought she was alone in this dusty section of the library; perhaps she needed to retrain her ears to be a bit more acute. Her chest fell and rose quicker; she pulled her fingers away from her lips as they fell slightly open. Words were lost to her tongue as she fought against the deafening silence enveloping them, which in reality was only a mere few seconds. A smile spread across her face as she noted his feathered duster clutched to his chest, a defensive gesture, she could only guess.

“Hello!” Her voice echoed in her ears, bounced across the books and no doubt reached his ears in its high pitched intensity. Noticing the books molding against the soft of her back, she pushed away from the safety of the structure to take a confident step toward him, extending a hand his way in anticipation for a handshake as a sister had taught her. No matter where she went, she liked to try different customs with others and see if they responded in the same way. It was a way for her to see what she could get away with in Wonderland, maybe she could bring a bit of London life into her home, she would take whatever she could get.

“Not at all!” She stated brightly in response, before realizing how it could have been misconstrued. “Not that I think you couldn’t help me if I actually needed help, which I—” Before she had even heard his sneeze she had felt a terrible itch in her nose. Just as he sneezed, she shut her eyes and sneezed immediately after him. “Well.” Giggling, she rubbed a tear from her eye, looking down at the ground while doing so. This was just all just a comedic situation where they had the same reaction over a very comment element in the air. “I’m assuming you work here, right? I mean, that means there’s lots of dusting and sneezing all day long.” She giggled at their little experience together; feeling more connected to this stranger than he probably felt to her. No matter who it was, she always believed that everyone had good intentions and a heart of gold, so with it she would always be her whole and uncompromising self.

Feelings like this could always lead her towards a dangerous path, but what was it about people that made her trust them constantly? Her faith in people wasn’t even conditional; there was not one person she could say that she had an inkling of skepticism for. She believed everyone was kind at heart, even if they didn’t show it sometimes, it was a consequence of the age they lived in, all muddled with images of strength and independence. They sometimes forgot that a little bit of kindness towards each other goes a long way. And it was especially characteristic of Sophie to just love people; people were fascinating and complicated, full of mysteries and stories. Just like this new character, Sophie tilted her head to the side, measuring his face and its friendly mountains and thin beams of light.

be a saint not a sinner
PM
^
seol eun-ki
 Posted: Aug 31 2015, 08:28 PM
n/a
seol eun-ki

Eun-ki wiped his watering eyes with the back of his hand - blissfully dust free to some extent - and dropped the duster on one of the lower shelves with a look of disdain at its hateful, froofy pink feathers. To be bested by a feather duster, how embarrassing. He attempted to dust off his fingers by wiping them on his trousers - waste of time, really - and tried to smile at the woman once again. Not easy when his eyes were pink from sneezing and dust motes and his nose scrunched up to resist another sneezing fit.

"I can always help if you need it, if not now." His smile widened a touch and he stepped further into the little alcove created by imposing shelves. "I certainly do work here, have been since its official opening." He patted the nearest shelf indulgently and focused better on the girl. "Though there's usually a lot less sneezing most days." Aka once a week or so, but he didn't want to admit he ended up sneezing an entire day away with his trusty feather duster and damp cloths. The poetry area was reasonably dusty, unfortunately, but Eun-ki took that as a given. Books really weren't something Wonderlanders spent their time learning. He wasn't altogether sure some of the other creatures-turned-human knew how at all. He'd only known having been a pencil bird previously. It was luck he knew his letters and basic functions of human speech long before he had hands and a mouth to use them.

Realizing he forgot such basic human expectations - as he seemed to do quite often - Eun-ki's mouth twisted and he executed an awkward little bow. "Oh, I'm Eun-ki. Librarian." As if that wasn't obvious. But introductions were polite in any country or realm, as he'd learned. Plus, it was rude not to offer a new acquaintance a name with which to call him. "Are you a poet? I heard your verses earlier." He gestured to the books. "They were quite good." He shrugged sheepishly. He wasn't altogether sure what she'd been saying, as he hadn't exactly perused any of the books around him. Too much open to interpretation, too little based in fact or history. He was too easily confused to bother with fancy metaphors and twenty stanzas to say one was in love with a married woman.

PM
^
sophie webster
 Posted: Sep 8 2015, 08:21 PM
sophie webster

Smiling, Sophie appreciated his kindness, a characteristic she aimed to look for in every person—whether they believed they possessed it or not. “It’s an incredibly lovely job to work with books, isn’t it? I certainly think so.” If she needed to obtain a job, she would have easily taken up one with books. Something about this place was absolutely magical. There were so many texts that were waiting to be open and read. As a flower, she didn’t have much of an ability to read, the only stories she received were from weary travelers who sought a conversation with her, and that was usually at their discretion as well. She never could have imagined herself choosing what she wanted to read and when she wanted to. It really was a treat for her to be here, taking part in this exchange of knowledge and stories.

“My name is Sophie. It’s a pleasure to meet you, Eun-ki.” She blushed as he complimented her recitation. “Unfortunately, I am not a poet, I just remember many of the poems that I’ve read over and over again.” Keats was an interesting one, full of imagery and things that didn’t really make sense to her at times, but a deeper reading would always reveal things that she hadn’t quite understood the first time. That was where she derived most of her enjoyment of poems, the interpretation and reinterpretation over time. The meanings sometimes changed, sometimes within a day as well. “I just love poetry, they’re so enchanting and confusing and all together… just beautiful.” She was a closet romantic, or she thought she was anyways. Her gaze floated above his head, her mind briefly wandering through fields and raindrops.

“I’m sure spending so much time here allows you to read whatever you want, you are one lucky fellow.” She giggled to herself, giddy with her new acquaintance. Sophie thoroughly enjoyed being around new people and understanding their thoughts. She laced her fingers behind her back and rocked on her heels. Her excitement was bubbling just underneath her semi-calm exterior; she wanted to know what it was like to be a librarian. The impressionable Pansy looked at him with envy and curiosity, what a joy would it be like to be him.

be a saint not a sinner
PM
^
seol eun-ki
 Posted: Sep 11 2015, 05:00 PM
n/a
seol eun-ki

Eun-ki preened. He loved books, he loved history, he loved adventure. He loved so many things in both worlds - though mostly the human one - it was hard to put everything in a few simple statements. But he tried anyway. "I can't imagine doing anything else. At least, not here in Wonderland." He smiled. "They're my life. I spend more time with them than I do in the sun." Sheepish, that admonition. He spent an inordinate amount of time in the royal city's library. Even if it was his occupation, he probably shouldn't be sleeping there most nights. But it wasn't completely his fault. Mostly he fell asleep reading or closed his eyes for a 'quick eye rest' and ended up waking up hours later.

But sometimes he brought out the blankets from the second floor storage closet and slept under one of the desks, because he's just so close to finishing a project and doesn't want to waste time eating or going home. Sophie, Sophie. He worked for a moment to commit it to memory. Such a bad hand at names, Eun-ki usually had to read something carefully to retain the information. And there were so many wonderlanders with dual names, plus a title or a species, to keep track of. It made meeting new people all the more difficult--though he'd learned not to open with, so what are you anyway? Supposedly that was rude. "It's very nice to meet you too." He clutched the duster with both hands, one gripping the handle and the other tugging on the dusty feathers. It needed a good shake but he hadn't bothered to go outside in the past hour to do it. Maybe a window would do. "They sure sounded nice." Eun-ki wished he knew a little more about the whole 'poetry' thing but not enough to study it in depth.

"You must enjoy it all, poetry I mean. But I agree with the confusing part." He chuckled, clutching his duster. His hair was in his face but he couldn't push it away without smearing dust. He blew at the tendrils in vain and glared up at them. "I do love being able to read whatever I want. Though I don't stray very far from the reference books. Or the human history section." He intentionally didn't mention his secret love of romance novels. Being an inexperienced romantic was devastatingly embarrassing when pointed out aloud. "But anyone can spend as much time as they like here! I'm always happy for the company." So long as they don't dog ear pages. Or eat while touching the books. Or break spines. .Not that he was one to complain, he'd been known to read a single book so often its spine fell apart and had to be put back together. But Eun-ki was only strict on the people who take advantage of his trusting them with his precious collection. "There isn't enough time in either world to read them all, though. And there are always new books added. I haven't read even a quarter of the books in here." He glanced at the books with a soft smile, happy to know he'd have many, many years to devour every book he wanted. And maybe even to travel again.

Though going back to the human world was too much like a dream to indulge.

PM
^
sophie webster
 Posted: Sep 13 2015, 08:58 PM
sophie webster

What a dream it would be to be part of this, the library, and the books. He was the key holder to this magical land and it was his occupation to provide for its continuation. She bit her lower lip, a few seconds away from asking him to hire her. There was so much she could do for this place; an extra dusting hand wouldn’t hurt, not that she would be so rude to point it out. Then again, she wasn’t sure how long she could last if she did work here, maybe it would become less magical? Maybe he would notice that she wasn’t really here to work but to read, instead, and then wouldn’t it be backwards of her to work here? The whole thing fell apart, she wasn’t here to work, she was here to read and be amongst the books. “Unless you’re reading outside in the sun.” She added, remembering the feel of the warm sun on her skin.

Even as a flower she liked basking in the heat, especially on a beautiful spring day. But with a book in hand? Well, that would be tremendously delightful. “Thank you.” She responded brightly, feeling effervescent, like his kind words had tickled her skin. Feeling warm and accepted by him, she took a closer step toward him. “I adore poetry, especially… the love poems, you know?” She didn’t want to describe her adoration of love poems, it wasn’t something she felt comfortable disclosing, oddly enough. “Reference books? So you know about everything about anything.” She stated with a giggle. She flashed her teeth briefly, before pressing her lips into a wide closed lip smile. “History bores me, who did what with whom, there’s no reason or rhyme. It’s just… there.” She barely understood the politics behind the Queen and the Cheshire Cat, those things were best left for those involved. Sophie did not want to meddle in things she could scarcely understand, or care to understand.

“What else do you like? Fiction? I love stories, but I prefer when they’re told to me.” She remembered listening to the stories she used to hear of people traveling to London, of cards falling in love, of the Mad Hatter and his tea parties. Those were things that she enjoyed listening to, adventure, triumph, and love. Above all, love. She would daydream about a day when the same things would happen to her, and now they could. If only there were enough time in the world to sit back with a good poetry collection. She would read them out loud and memorize the ones she liked. “You have to make time to read, but there are many other wonderful things to do. Like climbing trees or… say, making a daisy crown with this little weeds, or sitting by the water.” Sophie loved nature to say the least; she always felt one with the flowers and trees. It all reminded her of home, her old home.

be a saint not a sinner
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules Collapse  

skinned exclusively for across the chessboard by asya