chatter
  • across the chessboard
  • welcome
    welcome to across the chessboard! we're an alice in wonderland based site with an original plot and slight modern dystopian twist and canon characters from alice's adventures in wonderland and through the looking glass and what alice found there, both by lewis carroll. for a longer summary, please visit our information center here. if you have any questions, feel free to give an admin a shout in the cbox (it's to your left- just click the chatter button and it should pop open). again, welcome, and we hope you join us!

it is currently summer 2015 in london.
    it is currently summer-ish in wonderland.

• stats & info
    Wonderland wasn't always this way. There was a time when it mirrored medieval England, albeit with a few magical elements: a few quirks and eccentricities that made it truly unique. While all feared the Queen's mercurial temper and the fine blade of her Guillotine, all was well, until a little girl named Alice Liddell disturbed the status quo and sparked a revolution. The kingdom began to fall into decay as the taint of the modern world invaded. History is beginning to repeat itself and no one is happy. As the Queen of Hearts tangles in a battle of wits and riddles with the Cheshire Cat, the rest are starting to wonder ... is it true that the White Rabbit is bringing humans to Wonderland when they themselves are banned from going to London?

myrmidones of the queen — 12/∞ 
    myrmidones of the cat — 08/∞ 
    unaffiliated — 09/∞ 
  • featured
    asya
    fintan
    character
    judas
    male
    aria
    female
    jacqueline & maixent
    pairing
    empty gold
    thread

Add Reply
New Poll

fights with the past, tagged: Toby
shannon saunders
 Posted: Jul 30 2015, 01:12 PM
I'm breaking free from these memories Gotta let it go, just let it go I've said goodbye Set it all on fire Gotta let it go, just let it go
30GreyTA35 postsapplicationplotting
shannon saunders

The recent conversation with Lael was just completely exhausting. And that made the fact that the school holidays started become more of a blessing rather than a burden - while Shannon usually preferred to keep busy at work, she knew that with what her emotional state was like she wouldn't be able to focus. She searched her purse for a packet of cigarettes and she got one out. Her non-smoking streak was broken but she didn't really care. She had too much on her hands to really worry about the implications smoking had. It calmed her down.

She wasn't really in the mood to be outside but she knew that if she stayed in, she would spend the entire day doing absolutely nothing and then she would feel guilty for it. It wasn't as though she had much in the ways of contact with any of her family, really, but she felt as though she was still being judged by her mother from afar. Worried that if Sarah Saunders ever chose to visit - which she probably wouldn't - and her flat was a state, Shannon would be told how she had failed at keeping herself afloat.

She quickly finished her cigarette and slipped into the closest Starbucks. Coffee was always a good idea. Shannon pulled her phone out and checked Facebook to see if anyone was about and fancied meeting up but soon she decided to duck out; she wasn't really in much of a company mood. She supposed if it was someone that she didn't have to be all cheerful with, she could pull it off but she didn't want to bother any of her closer friends. And certainly not Lael. Not after the last time.

The Starbucks was busy, as always. Shannon rested against the counter and ordered a skinny latte.

I guess your mama didn't know the gift she got when she got you I'm sorry about your life, you had it pretty rough Bending over backwards, never good enough You poor thing, it must suck to be you
PMEmailAIM
^
toby williams
 Posted: Jul 30 2015, 03:22 PM
This was the way he had to go; he had no choice. He had never had any choice. He was only a dreamer.
26Greystudent18 postsapplicationplotting
toby williams

He was beyond tired, exhaustion was evident in the fine lines on his forehead and around his mouth, the faint shadow beneath his eyes. All smoothed over with foundation, appearances are important after all. His hair was perhaps a little more tousled than usual, those gentle curls a little more haphazard. Despite the finely pressed shirt and blazer, those ironed trousers showing not a single wrinkle save for when he sat- there was clearly something about Tobias Tarquin Williams that wasn't perfect that day. Perhaps it was the way he slouched somewhat, rather than sat bolt upright- the way he clutched his mug of Earl Grey with a mild hint of desperation. Whatever it was, it would become clear to Shannon the moment she saw him.

Toby had spotted the blonde only when she reached the register and paid for her Skinny Latte. He'd heard her voice and thought it familiar, but even when he'd looked up to see his friend he hadn't raised his voice- not immediately. She looked almost as tired as he did, though in a different way. Her exhaustion was more emotional, he'd known her long enough to be able to tell.

"Shannon,"

It was only once she'd turned away from the till in order to find somewhere to seek refuge from the weather outside that he called out to her, lifting a hand in an idle wave. "Over here."

When the sins of my father Weigh down in my soul And the pain of my mother Will not let me go Well I know there can come fire from the sky To purify pure as the canes Even though I know this fire brings me pain Even so
PMEmail
^
shannon saunders
 Posted: Aug 15 2015, 06:31 PM
I'm breaking free from these memories Gotta let it go, just let it go I've said goodbye Set it all on fire Gotta let it go, just let it go
shannon saunders

Upon hearing her name, she looked around; the voice was all too familiar. When she saw him, she raised an eyebrow – he seemed a state. Of course, she wouldn’t mention it out loud or at least maybe not in such a blunt manner. Walking over, Shannon finally settled for a seat in front of Toby. She didn’t speak at first, just looking at him, her eyes wide as she regarded his features. He seemed exhausted, the tiredness breaking through the foundation that was supposed to cover it. He was only young, after all.

“Got something on your mind?” She asked before taking a sip of her coffee, relishing the taste of it on her tongue. He was the sort of person that she trusted herself to be around, no matter what mood she was in, she would be fine to talk to him. Knowing that she didn’t have to fake being fine around him made it a whole lot easier. Besides, there were always distractions aplenty when she spoke with him; a Masters student always had something interesting to talk about.

I guess your mama didn't know the gift she got when she got you I'm sorry about your life, you had it pretty rough Bending over backwards, never good enough You poor thing, it must suck to be you

PMEmailAIM
^
toby williams
 Posted: Aug 15 2015, 07:06 PM
This was the way he had to go; he had no choice. He had never had any choice. He was only a dreamer.
toby williams

"Oh, plenty,"

He smiled as she came to join him- though it was strained, a little too tight around the edges and falling flat in the center. He ran a hand through his hair, lifting the mug for another sip, seeking comfort in its warmth. "As expected, I suppose... the trials and tribulations of the upper class. First world problems... I believe they're called?" That smile turned wry and he shook his head once, lowering the cup gently, seeking to avoid the inevitable chink of ceramic meeting hard plastic. He was downplaying it, certainly- but only because he didn't quite know how to explain his troubles. Perhaps he ought to have pretended it was to do with his course but Shannon knew better than that, knew his enthusiasm when it came to computers- almost equal to his passion for music.

He excelled at both.

Matters of the heart, of emotion, however... that was where he found himself on uneven ground.

"And you? Forgive me, I know it's not... proper to tell a woman she looks tired but I must admit, Shannon, you don't look your usual self." His expression was almost sheepish as he regarded her over the rim of the once-more lifted mug, taking a quick sip as he regarded her response.

When the sins of my father Weigh down in my soul And the pain of my mother Will not let me go Well I know there can come fire from the sky To purify pure as the canes Even though I know this fire brings me pain Even so
PMEmail
^
shannon saunders
 Posted: Aug 15 2015, 07:30 PM
shannon saunders

He really wasn’t well-versed in the world of faking being okay. But to Shannon, it didn’t matter. She clung onto it instead, after all, if she could hear what was bothering Toby, it perhaps could make it easier to forget the fact that recently she poured her heart out to Lael. She felt repulsed at the lack of composure she has shown at that time, but it was in the past now. Nothing she could do about it. Instead, she focused on the man in front of her and she couldn’t help but smile at the mention of first world problems.

“Yes, that sounds about right...” She said, reaching for his hand to squeeze it in order to comfort him. There were a few moments of silence before he spoke up again, this time asking her how she was. Or rather, why she looked tired. “I recently had to face my past and poured it all out to a friend. It was anything but enjoyable. What’s the matter?”

PMEmailAIM
^
toby williams
 Posted: Aug 15 2015, 07:43 PM
toby williams

He gave her a long look, almost wary about telling her- what would she think? They came from different backgrounds, and what his family considered normal (arranged marriages, for one)- she might consider to be entirely ridiculous, outdated, almost cruel: all sentiments he could certainly agree with, had he the freedom to do so. Unfortunately, he was bound to the will of his parents should he wish to keep his inheritance and while he'd love to say he could live without it, that he didn't need it... he wasn't entirely sure he'd be all that happy without the security of the family wealth. After all, he'd never had to survive on a normal income, never had to tackle the problem of being tight on funds- he wasn't altogether sure he could survive.

"You have to swear to me that you will not laugh, nor will you judge the situation too harshly."

Only once he'd received her reassurance on that matter, would he feel inclined to divulge his troubles. If there was one friend he'd feel comfortable talking to about such things, it would quite possibly be Shannon.

PMEmail
^
shannon saunders
 Posted: Aug 18 2015, 06:38 AM
shannon saunders

She raised an eyebrow, watching as he watched her, as though he tried to judge whether he trusted her to tell her what was on his mind. Feeling a little frustrated with the fact that he didn’t seem to trust her; she withdrew her hand to take a long sip of her coffee. Her eyes darted to the window; the weather was getting worse by the minute. Finally, Toby spoke and Shannon looked back to him. He seemed very serious and she wasn’t about to let him down. She wanted to be there for him.

“I swear. I will not.” She said quietly, keeping eye contact with him.

PMEmailAIM
^
toby williams
 Posted: Aug 30 2015, 06:20 AM
toby williams

Where did one start on a situation such as his? He struggled with it, couldn't quite summon the correct words with which to begin an explanation. It was all so muddled in his mind, the stress clouding any obvious course of direction: should he start with the arrangement? His friendship with Penelope? Her disappearance? The very difficulties arising from his orientation alone? He wasn't altogether sure. In that moment, Toby couldn't even recall if Shannon knew of his sexual preferences... he was quite certain it had never come up in polite conversation but who knew what might have been mumbled in wine-addled confession. Perhaps she even suspected... she'd always had such a clever mind...

Knowing he couldn't stall any longer without that eyebrow rising further with her increasing annoyance, he said the first thing that came to mind.

"A dear friend of mine has disappeared, and I'm worried. Although, perhaps she is more than a friend... I hardly know what to call her." He offered a strained, apologetic smile and took another sip of his drink, holding it firmly between both hands for comfort despite the burn. "You know my background... things are a little complicated. You see, our parents had intended for us to... she never knew, I didn't really get a chance to... unless they told her... it's all so incredibly complicated."

PMEmail
^
shannon saunders
 Posted: Oct 13 2015, 04:55 PM
shannon saunders

Shannon was exhausted. With the recent revelation to Lael and her feelings for Dominic resurfacing yet again she’d been constantly on edge. School holidays aided in making her feel better, just as the packets of cigarettes she’d been going through, quicker and quicker. She was terrified at the idea of seeing him again but considering that he was in hospital, she felt compelled to. Considering his circumstances for being in hospital were very similar to her circumstances all these years ago...

Raising an eyebrow, she sipped more of her coffee as he spoke.

“So your parents decided to pair up their gay son with one of his friends? Lovely.” She sighed. “She disappeared, huh... That doesn’t sound good.”

PMEmailAIM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules Collapse  

skinned exclusively for across the chessboard by asya