chatter
  • across the chessboard
  • welcome
    welcome to across the chessboard! we're an alice in wonderland based site with an original plot and slight modern dystopian twist and canon characters from alice's adventures in wonderland and through the looking glass and what alice found there, both by lewis carroll. for a longer summary, please visit our information center here. if you have any questions, feel free to give an admin a shout in the cbox (it's to your left- just click the chatter button and it should pop open). again, welcome, and we hope you join us!

it is currently summer 2015 in london.
    it is currently summer-ish in wonderland.

• stats & info
    Wonderland wasn't always this way. There was a time when it mirrored medieval England, albeit with a few magical elements: a few quirks and eccentricities that made it truly unique. While all feared the Queen's mercurial temper and the fine blade of her Guillotine, all was well, until a little girl named Alice Liddell disturbed the status quo and sparked a revolution. The kingdom began to fall into decay as the taint of the modern world invaded. History is beginning to repeat itself and no one is happy. As the Queen of Hearts tangles in a battle of wits and riddles with the Cheshire Cat, the rest are starting to wonder ... is it true that the White Rabbit is bringing humans to Wonderland when they themselves are banned from going to London?

myrmidones of the queen — 12/∞ 
    myrmidones of the cat — 08/∞ 
    unaffiliated — 09/∞ 
  • featured
    asya
    fintan
    character
    judas
    male
    aria
    female
    jacqueline & maixent
    pairing
    empty gold
    thread

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

Buried Memories, Tag: Achilles
terrence chelony
 Posted: Aug 9 2015, 08:52 PM
........Sometimes........ he thought sadly to himself, "Why?" and sometimes he thought, "Wherefore?" and sometimes he thought, "Inasmuch as which?" and sometimes he didn't quite know what he was thinking about.
36BlackMock Turtle117 postsapplicationplotting
terrence chelony

Summer. The sand was heated by the sun and cooled by the waves. Crabs danced across the shore line while whiting fish glimmered just below the ocean surface. A pelican flew by. A single cloud floated merrily past the sun in one of those rare, perfectly picturesque moments. It was like a vacation destination. A nearly private beach, untouched by man, full of wildlife and beauty. Terrence's house overlooked the beach from a cliff, with a trail leading down to the sand. It wasn't very big, but it was more than enough for him. No one could ever ask for a more perfect home to live in, or for it to be in any better a location.

Terrence hated it.

He hated living on a cliff and worrying that someday his house would slide into the sea. He hated how the sea breeze coated everything with a fine layer of salt. He hated having the sun beat down on him every hour of the day with nowhere to find shade. He hated the constant roar of ocean waves. He hated the cawing of seagulls waking him up every morning. But most of all he hated each one of the memories.

He couldn't look out at the infinite expanse of sand, stretching out in either direction, without thinking of all the terrible things that had happened there. Even his earliest memories were of tragedies in the sand. He and his brothers and sisters had been abandoned there. They'd grown up in the sand and sea alone. And, when they had grown, though still just children, he came.

A soldier, dressed all in red. He rounded up Terrence's siblings to turn them into mock turtle soup for the Queen. Terrence was a runt. He was too small to make even an unappetizing bowl of soup. The soldier kicked sand over the cowering turtle to pretend he wasn't there, and left. Terrence never saw the soldier or his siblings again.

Terrence remembered. He remembered everything. He remembered the day he met Gryphon. The foolish bird had flopped onto the sand and comforted him as he cried. He remembered the day he met Alice here on the cliff and told her of his life and of his songs.... He even remembered dancing with the lobsters and whitings and snails in the moonlight.

And as he looked out his window at the shore he remembered where each and every one of these events took place. Some further down the beach, some at his doorstep, some at the high tide line. And he hated it. And he cried when he remembered.

Terrence stepped out of his house. He was dressed for the summer heat except for his ever-present black scarf. He didn't care how warm it was. It served a very important purpose to him. To remind him that he was more than his memories. To remind him that he was more than just a Mock Turtle now. He was Terrence. He was human. And that was a good thing.

He walked down the path to the sand, taking off his shoes and leaving them on the grass before going down to the water's edge. He started humming softly to himself as he walked down the beach, unaware of the other person ahead, keeping his eyes down. He was quite caught up in his thoughts and music.

“We bury things so deep we no longer remember there was anything to bury. Our bodies remember. Our neurotic states remember. But we don't.” ― Jeanette Winterson
PM
^
achilles halden
 Posted: Aug 11 2015, 01:10 AM
You saw my pain washed out in the rain, broken glass, saw the blood run from my veins but you saw no fault, no cracks in my heart and you knelt beside my hope torn apart. But the ghosts that we knew will flicker from view we'll live a long life so give me hope in the darkness that I will see the light
29RedRed Knight113 postsapplicationplotting
achilles halden

Achilles hated the sand. It crept into all the nice crevices of his crimson armor and was such a bitch to clean out without ruining the blood stains. Actually, that was a lie. Truth be told, Achilles kept his uniforms and armor well cared for--the problem was he killed and maimed so often in the first couple hundred years, it was impossible to keep the armor pristine. And every once in a while he'd just give up on its care, especially when people would shudder at the sight of him. Fewer people to get in his way or get on his nerves. Acceptable.

However, at the moment Achilles was more concerned with sand instead of blood. Getting away with murder wasn't nearly as easy nowadays. Jacqueline had this obsession with kindness and tolerance. While Achilles was grateful for the respite, he relied on his reputation to keep others at arm's length. If everyone forgot his bloody past, would they continue to leave him alone? And if he was unable to do the one thing he was good at, what would become of him? The Queen thinks I am useful, but she's wrong. Achilles sighed, chin tilting upward. He closed his eyes and let his feet guide him, walking aimlessly along the shore. The sunlight left blood red hues to dance beneath his eyelids, in varying patterns. Achilles hadn't wanted to go to the beach. The damn white knight had no sense of space. They'd shared a bed the night before and that be-damned Chevalier got up with the sun and brought Achilles breakfast in bed.

In thanks.

For an evening well spent. Lance was paying for sexual favors with bacon and eggs even though he knew Achilles didn't eat bacon. He preferred six eggs, over easy, with a varied medley of fruit and if the damn white knight would listen every once in a while he might remember. In the end, Achilles ducked out of his own private bedchambers claiming knightly duties, of which he had none. That's right, it was Achilles' day off and he'd been chased from his precious bed by a fool with delusions of what a 'good wife' might do for her husband the morning after.

A single, morose sound rang in Achilles' ears and pulled him from his reverie a second too late. As his eyes opened, Achilles smacked flush against some stranger with no shoes on, humming mindlessly to himself. Achilles barely managed to keep his feet - mostly due to his constant training - even in the tumultuous sand. "Shit," He swore under his breath, straightening and staring at the man. "Sorry. Wasn't paying attention." Even though he was the one apologizing, he glowered with annoyance. Not at the stranger, per se. More along the lines of being frustrated on his day off - something he barely knew what to do with in the first place, but was forced upon him by the Queen. Having to apologize wasn't helping matters. At all.

Break me down if it feels right, hate me now if it keeps you alright, you can break me down if it takes all your mind cause I'm so much more than meets the eye
PM
^
terrence chelony
 Posted: Aug 11 2015, 02:58 AM
........Sometimes........ he thought sadly to himself, "Why?" and sometimes he thought, "Wherefore?" and sometimes he thought, "Inasmuch as which?" and sometimes he didn't quite know what he was thinking about.
terrence chelony

Terrence knew nothing of what went on in the Royal City. Truth be told, he'd only been once or twice and he was certain he was forced by Pierre. It wasn't the concern of a Mock Turtle to know anything about the City, or the kingdom in general for that matter. It was one of the reasons why he hadn't had to think too hard of whether or not he would side with the Cat. He had no ties to the Queen, and the Cat could give him at least part of what he wanted.

He didn't know much of the Red Knight but what he'd heard in passing, and from his own memories. He knew even less about the White Knight, and he certainly knew nothing of their trists. But, he knew plenty about annoying partners and he certainly knew the agitated look of having to deal with one by both feel and sight.

So, when he ran into the Red Knight and actually saw the other man's face he knew it was relationship troubles that were bothering him most. It made him forgive any part this stranger may have played in their running into each other. He knew he was always distracted when Pierre was being extra annoying with something, so Terry knew the look quite well. Not that Achilles was especially difficult to read anyway.

He stepped a good five feet back from the knight immediately upon bumping him, for his own personal space as well as Achilles's. "Oh, no, I'm sorry." he replied quickly "I wasn't watching where I was going. I didn't really expect anyone else to be here, so I-"

He stopped. He stopped because he'd actually gotten a good look at the knight now that he was standing back from him. He recognized the face. It was older, by noticeable amounts, but he knew it. But what really gave it away was the armor. He could never forget that armor. Terrence felt his heart skip a beat in his chest and he took off his scarf, wrapping it in his hands in a bit of nervous habit.

Fear wasn't an emotion he experienced every day. It was almost as rare in his daily life as true happiness was. His days were usually blanketed with a thick fog of melancholia and apathy, and hardly ever for a good reason like fear. There were many times he wanted to lay where he stood, curl up and cry, but fear. Fear made him want to run. And that was new. Terrence never ran. Turtles don't run. It isn't a skill they possess.

"....I know you." He said quietly, unsure of what else to say.

“We bury things so deep we no longer remember there was anything to bury. Our bodies remember. Our neurotic states remember. But we don't.” ― Jeanette Winterson
PM
^
achilles halden
 Posted: Aug 11 2015, 05:36 AM
You saw my pain washed out in the rain, broken glass, saw the blood run from my veins but you saw no fault, no cracks in my heart and you knelt beside my hope torn apart. But the ghosts that we knew will flicker from view we'll live a long life so give me hope in the darkness that I will see the light
achilles halden

The man standing before Achilles looked like a sap. Defensive body language, kept his eyes downcast, even his mannerisms looked pretty pathetic. A well of pity for such a sorry excuse of a wonderlander filled to the brim within the Red Knight and he attempted a show of sympathy. It was difficult, certainly. "I hadn't even bothered opening my eyes as I walked. The fault is mine." He lay a hand over his chest, right about where his heart should be. At least, where it would be if he wasn't a soulless monster.

One brow crept slowly up Achilles' forehead, interest piqued. We've met before? Achilles gave the man a thorough examination. Lank, floppy hair, bad posture, nervous tics. Nope. Someone this pathetic, Achilles would remember. He snapped his fingers. "Ah. You mean from before the change, right?" He fished out a theory from thin air. Why that was his first idea rather than oh, who knows, the man being mistaken? No clue. But it was a common question nowadays, when creatures lost their true form - those Wonderlanders who weren't born with a humanoid physique like Achilles and the Queen. But if this one remembered him, why was he still there? Achilles was a murderer, an executioner.

Even in Wonderland, people tended to steer clear of the villains. He looks pretty terrified, Achilles mused. Maybe he does know me. He shrugged, armor creaking. "Achilles Halden. Red Knight, Executioner of the Mad Queen." Their gazes locked, Achilles' eyes lit with interest. "And you are?" What exactly did I do to you to cause such fear? Or do you simply know me by reputation? Such a strange fellow. The Red Knight folded his arms across his chest. The heat bore down on his armor and he wished yet again that he'd changed out of the damn metal casket. It was his day off for cripes' sake.

Break me down if it feels right, hate me now if it keeps you alright, you can break me down if it takes all your mind cause I'm so much more than meets the eye
PM
^
terrence chelony
 Posted: Aug 11 2015, 01:43 PM
terrence chelony

Terrence could feel his blood running cold as Achilles introduced himself and they locked eyes. He was inwardly very, very glad the knight hadn't offered to shake hands because that would force him to move in a direction that WASN'T as far away from Achilles as physically possible. The knight was still quite intimidating, even on his day off.

Executioner of the Mad Queen. Executioner was right, though he honestly doubted Achilles would even see what he did as an execution, or as the genocide it more closely resembled. He wasn't surprised that the man from his childhood was just as terrifying as he remembered. He was shocked that he was so polite, but then again, he had spared Terry back then, too.

Terrence managed to take a half-step back once he pulled himself out of his own head, tugging on the fabric of his scarf. His toes curled in the damp sand as he tried to figure out what he was going to say. This was one of those rare times when he definitely didn't want to start crying in the middle of his sentence, but also when he felt like he was going to do it anyway.

"Ah... yes...... well.... My name is Terrence Chelony, but that's just my human name... I........ I didn't really have a name back then, and certainly not back as far as I remember you. We didn't really speak anyway, so you wouldn't know it even if I did..."

He took another half-step back. If he hadn't lived his whole life on the sand he might have stumbled as his foot sank into it. Instead it just kept him from turning tail and running home. He wasn't sure if this was a good thing or not. He took a deep breath, trying to calm down as much as he was physically capable before finally speaking again.

"I was... am... a turtle. " He said, then caught Achilles's gaze again "The Mock Turtle. "

He wasn't sure how the knight would react. Would he even remember? What if something so important to his own past was nothing more than an afternoon assignment to the stranger? What if it was all but forgotten in the mind of the murderer? Terrence wasn't even sure if he held any anger toward the Red Knight. Only pure fear, and that was probably not much of a concern anymore. After all.... human soup probably wasn't nearly as tasty as mock turtle soup.

PM
^
achilles halden
 Posted: Aug 12 2015, 12:29 AM
achilles halden

Achilles' brows popped upward. Oh. Guess he has heard of me. That was something. At least the man hadn't fainted at the sight of the red knight - though he looked pretty damn close. For a man who apparently had never spoken a word to Achilles before that morning, he sure cowered like the best of them. Such a strange fellow, and that was saying something. And he kept trying to get away, but with really inefficient steps. If he wanted to run he should just dive in and run away full-out. This half-stepping around the problem was ridiculous.

But then he said two words that changed the entire conversation forever. The Mock Turtle? As in-- Achilles' mouth cracked open as if to respond but no words escaped. Shit. He remembered the Mock Turtle. He had been in attendance at Alice's trial. The mad queen berated him in her silly, loving manner for missing a turtle and not delivering more soup. But she was more enthralled with tarts by then. Anything to torment the boy, that poor knave. He had not been ordered to capture and kill the last remaining Mock Turtle and he had been grateful. Despite his reputation and the merciless way he killed so many for so paltry of treasonous reasons, Achilles' chest had swelled with relief when he heard of the Mock Turtle's continued existence.

Achilles very well remembered that tiny mock turtle lying in the sand, crooning such a sad, sad song. He looked to be half in his shell even still. Too small. The runt. He wouldn't make a good meal. Those thoughts swam around the Red Knight's mind the day he left this "Terrence" behind. They were valid reasons, but they were all lies. They were the lies he told himself, to convince himself that Terrence was not worth the trouble. Otherwise he would be responsible for eradicating an entire species at the whim of his Queen and that--well, Achilles was much a monster but that was a line he couldn't cross, not then, not now.

"So you are," Achilles murmured absentmindedly. What does one say to a man whose life he owed and whose insurmountable pain was caused by simultaneously? But a smile found its way on Achilles' face, disconcerting paired with his muddled eyes. What to think, what to say, what to do. So many thoughts, so little brain power. "I'm glad to see you up and about. And content?" He hadn't meant it to be a question but he was staring at the man once again, shorts and tank top with a thick scarf tangled in his fingers. Barefoot but somehow at ease, though he looked pretty discomfited. Achilles' smile deepened. And old? He looked well aged, though Achilles could still remember the day Terrence was but a babe.

Wonderland, man. Some things never really made sense. "You don't--" He sighed, a hand slipping through his hair and tugging at the dark curls. "You don't have to cower so. I'm not going to eat you or anything." He winced at the unintentional reference. "I mean I won't hurt you." Awkward. Wow. This was not a day Achilles ever expected to live through. "I'm surprised you remember me." Achilles admitted, a bit sheepish. "You weren't exactly--well, you were so young then." The then sounded almost like an accusation but just skirted the line of audacity. Stop it. Hasn't he been through enough? Such a pity, too. His siblings died for nothing and now the mad queen was gone. She hadn't even liked the taste of the Mock Turtle soup after she acquired it. She'd puttered about for an hour swirling her spoon. She couldn't have enjoyed more than a bite or two before tossing it at the nearest attendant. What a waste.

PM
^
terrence chelony
 Posted: Aug 12 2015, 02:26 AM
terrence chelony

Terry desperately wanted to take another step when he saw the look of recognition on Achilles's face, but his foot was stuck enough in the wet sand that he wasn't going to take any more subtle backing up. He'd have to actually stand there and hold a conversation, or put up far more effort and actually run.... He decided to suffer and talk.

His own eyebrows raised and pressed together with concern as he watched the Knight think. He also thought about that trial. About meeting Alice in general. It had been about 200 yards down the path from his house. She'd been sent to see what animal Mock Turtle soup came from.... he even sang her a song about it.

'Beautiful Soup' it had been called. It was his most beautiful song, as he had written it himself. So few people who heard it understood that he was singing about Mock Turtle Soup. It was perhaps too disturbing a thought for most others to contemplate- a mock turtle singing about being turned into soup.... He wondered if Achilles would understand it's meaning. He'd have to find out sometime.

The knight's smile disturbed him quite greatly, though the eyes didn't match it. He was used to that. His own smiles never matched his eyes. He just wasn't used to seeing someone give the same face. He blinked and stopped at the knight's odd question.

" 'Content' ?" He repeated, looking at Achilles quizzically. ".... no? No. Not really. That's.... well.... kind of what I've been known for my entire life, really. Not... not that it's your fault, or anything. Really more general than that... "

This was incredibly awkward. As Achilles kept talking it only got more awkward. This was why Terry was a hermit. He hated dealing with people. And this reminded him of why he hated living on the beach. There were people far too often (even of far too often meant at all). He wished he'd just stayed inside instead of going out for a walk. At least then if he saw the Red Knight he could have a panic attack from the comfort of his own home.

But... The Red Knight wasn't nearly as bad as his memories were. He seemed.... sorry. That wasn't something Terry was used to. People only ever seemed sorry when he started crying, and they were usually sorry out of second hand embarrassment more than anything else. It was almost calming to see Achilles feeling nearly as awkward as he was.

"Oh... no, I'm not.... I'm not really cowering from you, so much as just cowering." He admitted. It was only a bit of a lie. He probably wouldn't have the look of panic if it hadn't been Achilles, but he'd probably be just as awkward and nervous about it.

"...remembering you doesn't help my reactions much, but.. of course I would remember you. I was young, sure but.... surly you remember if something bad happened in your childhood?" he offered. He didn't know why, but Achilles struck him as the type to have a tragic past.

"...anyway, yes... I suppose I do look a lot older now, don't I?" he asked "I got that from my friend as well. You didn't age nearly as much, but noticeably... Probably something to do with me being a turtle...I didn't really give it too much thought. I don't really want to give too much thought to my old life. "

He wrapped his scarf around his neck again, as if reassuring himself on this point. Of course, Achilles would have no idea what the scarf was about. But it helped Terrence.

PM
^
achilles halden
 Posted: Aug 12 2015, 10:54 PM
achilles halden

I'm not really cowering from you so much as cowering. Well wasn't that a comforting thought? Not. Though it was unexpected to hear anyone admit they were cowering just for the sake of cowering. Mostly people shied away from his bloody armor and gruesome history. Life had never been sane in Wonderland but this was utter nonsense. Worse than nonsense; it was just like fate to decide two people who met in the most uncomfortable way were to meet again as adults, albeit one much older than he should be. "Well that's--that's good. I guess." He flubbed over more syllables that formed zero real words and let his mouth clamp shut.

Traumatic past. He was, literally, a baby mock turtle's first nightmare. He was the source of some stranger's trauma. While he probably gained that notoriety by so many other transactions, he rarely saw his handiwork all grown up. It was unsettling. And somewhat heartbreaking. Yes, yes he did have a traumatic past. Someone who destroyed his whole life; but the villain was himself. He was his own nightmare. And yet again, Achilles was the monster under the bed for some poor, unfortunate mock turtle. The last of his kind. Shit. Life had a funny way of kicking you in the ass when you least expected it.

"I did," the Red Knight replied. "Have a bad childhood experience, I mean. Not that I'm making excuses or--I mean--well, is there...is there anything I can, you know, do?" He winced visibly and his fingers clenched into fists at his side. This was insane. What do you do when you've ruined someone's entire life and forgotten about it until just that moment? How did he repent? "Or...not do? Would you like me to leave, or something?" In all his years, this was probably Achilles' most awkward meeting. And that included meeting the knave when he was a baby - all the while not knowing the queen was pregnant. But then he had very little experience with children and he'd been off a lot throughout the years.

Had being a turtle superficially aged the man-form? Was that why he looked so much older? Achilles disliked wrapping his head around the logic of the land as there wasn't any. Maybe Terrence had an old soul. Maybe the sky was green and Achilles was the mock turtle and Terrence was the murderer. Who knew anymore, certainly not Achilles. "That's--strange. But not completely weird in light of...well. Everything." He lifted his hands at his sides, at a loss. "Do you, well...do you like it? Being a human shape I mean?" What the fuck was he saying now? Babbling! This was what he did when he didn't filter his thoughts! "I wouldn't know, you know. Having changed little over the years, as you said." Stupid, stupid. Ridiculous. Why couldn't strange, confusing problems just not occur in the first place? That would be nice. And helpful.

"Do you want anything, or whatever? Are you, you know, hungry? Or thirsty?" STOP TALKING. WHY ARE YOU STILL TALKING. STOP IT. STOP IT NOW. Achilles clamped his mouth shut and gave up trying. Maybe the mock turtle could muddle through this better than the man. Someone had to act like a rational being and it didn't seem like Achilles would be that man any time soon.

PM
^
terrence chelony
 Posted: Aug 13 2015, 01:20 AM
terrence chelony

The more he watched the Red Knight speak, tense, and look uncomfortable, the less afraid Terrence found himself feeling. It was good, at least, to know that the other man found the meeting just as awkward as he did. He couldn't really help his cowering, though. He found himself wishing he still had a shell to hide in so often that cowering was more his default state of being than anything else.

No, Terrence wasn't afraid of the knight anymore. He wasn't worried that the stranger would hurt him. Might make him cry, but that was par for the course. Achilles seemed sorry. Especially as he flubbed over his words like he had a mouthful of sand. After all, it was fully possible he'd just been following some evil order from the former queen. It certainly wasn't as if the knight had done it on a whim. If he'd done it on a whim he wouldn't look so incredibly awkward about it.

He didn't blame Achilles for his life of sadness. He never had. He'd never pinned his sadness down to one particular moment in time. He was even still having trouble convincing himself he was born a MOCK TURTLE instead of a real turtle, but that was his own personal problem. He'd never really seen the red knight as a person until now. The knight from his memories and nightmares was more like a force of nature. A storm that had come and taken his family away. A mudslide that covered him in sand as his siblings were swept away. Putting a real face and personality to it was.... strange.

"Oh...no, you don't have to do anything. " He replied "And you don't have to leave if you don't want to.... I wasn't going to ask you to leave the beach or anything like that.... I'm... " He stopped, taking the time to remove his foot from the sand trap it had managed to sink into and to gather his thoughts. He did that a lot. Pausing to gather his thoughts. He occasionally used the time to sniffle or sob a bit, but he actually had managed not to start crying yet. He just LOOKED like he was about to cry.

Before he could actually finish his thought he'd gotten distracted by Achilles's other question and the entire previous thought had gone out the window. Did he like having a human shape? That was complicated. Far more complicated that it seemed it should be.

"I don't know if I like having a human shape or not." he admitted honestly "I wanted to stop being a mock turtle, yes, but I'd expected to be a REAL turtle. Instead I found myself in that noisy human world looking like this. Some kind of.... Mock Human..... Maybe I was a mock turtle too long. The 'mock-ness' of it set in. " He added softly, eyes cast downward for a moment before he composed himself and looked back up at the knight.

"I don't really need anything, though my house is right up there. " he gestured up to the cliff behind himself. ".... Let's go up there for a while. I can.... put on some tea, or something similar like coffee, and you can take off that armor... you look like you're going to roast in it if you stay like that much longer, and I don't know how to make Knight Soup. Probably would be better than Mock Turtle Soup, though.."

That was his attempt at a joke. It failed. He didn't give it any time to sink in as he started walking along the water line back toward his house, assuming Achilles would follow.... if he didn't at least the awkward conversation was over.

PM
^
achilles halden
 Posted: Aug 16 2015, 10:37 PM
achilles halden

Achilles was at a loss. Not only was this man not enraged at the knight for basically slaughtering his entire family, ruining his future and making him the last of his kind, but Terrence didn't want to get Achilles out of his sight as soon as physically possible? Was there something wrong with him mentally? Had Achilles accidentally kicked that poor turtle's head when he was still a baby? Highly possible, considering how the red knight had purposefully covered the runt of a shell baby in sand to keep at least one alive in the whole bunch. Truth be told, he'd hoped all these years there was a hidden cache of eggs beneath the surface. There hadn't been, and the Mock Turtle Achilles left alive quickly became known as The Mock Turtle, sad sack, melancholy mister, the depressed and downtrodden creature who made such an impact on Alice and the chaos thereafter.

What a strange, contradictory creature. Achilles' head hurt. It was bad enough being less intelligent than most of the fools running around the realm; now Achilles felt not only stupid at not understanding but guilty for reasons he couldn't quite name, as if Terrence's fractured state was completely his fault. He decided he sincerely disliked discovering the victims of his cruelties and maiming over the years. It was best they vanished or died, never to be seen or heard from again by the man who ruined their lives. Because this was too much pressure, too much expectation, too much responsibility.

"Are you sure? I don't mind, if you don't want me..." He mumbled uncomfortably and pointlessly. Clearly the mock turtle didn't see Achilles the way he should. But how to explain to Terry why he should hate the knight? Achilles didn't want to be hated, but he knew that was the logical response. At least if Terrence was yelling and crying, Achilles would better know how to act. Rather than 'naturally cowering' which was apparently the creature's state in general. "Did you ask specifically to be a turtle instead of a mock turtle?" He asked askance, scraping the back of his neck with blunt nails. The salty air tickled the sweat gathering at his nape from being in the sun. Moreover, wearing all that armor didn't exactly cool things down. Why did he come to the beach again?

And at this point, did it even matter? Any of it? The armor, the weather, the taste of cinnamon rolls Lance force-fed him that morning, the damned mock turtle who suffered daily in self-inflicted tragedy? Damn, life was getting so complicated."If you're a mock human, then they all are." Achilles added with a twist to his lips. Tempest, the rabbits, the strange Jabberwocky whom Achilles had kept out of the way of thus far. "I'm willing to bet you wouldn't address the others as mock humans. Granted, Judas might be considered a mock human. He wasn't exactly traumatized by the portals. He just...adapted to the times." He was as false as one of those mirror mazes in the human world. Transparent and yet reflective, constantly obstructing the true path, confusing all who enter at their own peril.

But why was he speaking of the Cheshire? That was dangerous in itself. Achilles shook his head and focused on the "mock" human instead. Best not speak of the devil or...

Achilles barked out a laugh. "Knight soup indeed." He shook his head, grinning in surprise. "I should try that on Lance next time he tries feeding me in bed." Achilles said it mostly to himself, but the wind slowed to a gentle breeze and there was no way to know if Terrence overheard. He persevered, speaking louder this time. "Tea or coffee would be nice." He tried to be polite. Jacqueline kept telling him being polite would get him along further in life--though it hadn't exactly panned out so well. If he hadn't been nice enough to leave Terrence to his meager existence, this wouldn't be happening. And it was still so strange for the mock turtle to show so much concern. A chance to remove his armor in this heat, under a well-cooled home? It was luxurious as Wonderland could get, as they hadn't yet discovered a way to reinvent those "air cooling machines" the human world had in abundance.

So the murderous Red Knight followed the sallow Mock Turtle for some tea or wonderland coffee, in some strange rendition of benefactor and orphan, the Wonderland edition.

PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (2) 1 2 
Add Reply
New Poll

Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules Collapse  

skinned exclusively for across the chessboard by asya