chatter
  • across the chessboard
  • welcome
    welcome to across the chessboard! we're an alice in wonderland based site with an original plot and slight modern dystopian twist and canon characters from alice's adventures in wonderland and through the looking glass and what alice found there, both by lewis carroll. for a longer summary, please visit our information center here. if you have any questions, feel free to give an admin a shout in the cbox (it's to your left- just click the chatter button and it should pop open). again, welcome, and we hope you join us!

it is currently summer 2015 in london.
    it is currently summer-ish in wonderland.

• stats & info
    Wonderland wasn't always this way. There was a time when it mirrored medieval England, albeit with a few magical elements: a few quirks and eccentricities that made it truly unique. While all feared the Queen's mercurial temper and the fine blade of her Guillotine, all was well, until a little girl named Alice Liddell disturbed the status quo and sparked a revolution. The kingdom began to fall into decay as the taint of the modern world invaded. History is beginning to repeat itself and no one is happy. As the Queen of Hearts tangles in a battle of wits and riddles with the Cheshire Cat, the rest are starting to wonder ... is it true that the White Rabbit is bringing humans to Wonderland when they themselves are banned from going to London?

myrmidones of the queen — 12/∞ 
    myrmidones of the cat — 08/∞ 
    unaffiliated — 09/∞ 
  • featured
    asya
    fintan
    character
    judas
    male
    aria
    female
    jacqueline & maixent
    pairing
    empty gold
    thread

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

Buried Memories, Tag: Achilles
terrence chelony
 Posted: Aug 16 2015, 11:23 PM
........Sometimes........ he thought sadly to himself, "Why?" and sometimes he thought, "Wherefore?" and sometimes he thought, "Inasmuch as which?" and sometimes he didn't quite know what he was thinking about.
36BlackMock Turtle117 postsapplicationplotting
terrence chelony

"I didn't say specifically I wanted to be a turtle. " Terrence admitted honestly "I said I didn't want to be a mock turtle anymore. I should have been more specific, but that's my fault... Most of all my problems are my own fault, really. " He glanced down and wiped his eyes as they's started to drip, sighing softly.

He really did think that way. Really he could probably think of a reason why Achilles's actions were his fault too, but he hadn't stopped to consider that yet. If he had an hour alone with his thoughts he would. Fortunately having the knight there would keep him distracted enough not to fall into that line of thinking. It was for the best.

"I wouldn't call anyone a mock human, because it is pretty insulting. " Terrence admitted. "I never liked being called a mock turtle. It was an implication that I failed at being a turtle somehow.... I wouldn't address the others as mock humans because they seem to be much better at being human than I. As for Judas, I try not to speculate his motives. He doesn't bother me, and I hope he never comes calling for me to return a favor. "

He pulled on his scarf again with that thought, though this time more nervously instead of for comfort. The black band of fabric was a reminder not only that he was human, not only of London, not only of his time with Pierre, but also that he owed the Cat his loyalty, even if he didn't get what he asked for. He hoped the Knight wouldn't blame him for that.

Terrence did hear his comment on Lance, but he didn't think much of it. He couldn't possibly care less about the knights or that they shared a bed on occasion. it was neither his place nor his interest. Terrence was barely interested when Pierre tried to share HIS bed. Why would he give a second thought to anyone else's?

He was, however, surprised that Achilles had laughed at his joke. That wasn't the usual reaction. Usually they were met with a frown or a tut or a hug if they were a bit more self-ridiculing. He decided that his off-hand joke wasn't worth revisiting, and so he just accepted Achilles's laugh of approval.

"Then tea or coffee it is. I might have some kind of snack laying around, but nothing fancy. I don't cook much. I have to keep the windows open for the breeze and it makes everything a bit salty. Even the tea. I'm sorry in advance. "

Terrence began to hum softly as he walked, the tune of Beautiful Soup. He'd gotten it into his head with an earlier thought, and now it was stuck there. At least it was a beautifully sad song. It was just called 'Turtle Soup' once, but the Gryphon had made him change it ages ago.

He started to sing softly, not really taking into consideration if Achilles could hear him or not. It was a decent walk before they got back to his home, and it was a short song.

"Beautiful Soup so rich and green, Waiting in a hot tureen. Who for such dainties would not stoop? Soup of the evening, Beautiful Soup. Soup of the evening, Beautiful Soup...."

“We bury things so deep we no longer remember there was anything to bury. Our bodies remember. Our neurotic states remember. But we don't.” ― Jeanette Winterson
PM
^
achilles halden
 Posted: Aug 23 2015, 04:15 AM
You saw my pain washed out in the rain, broken glass, saw the blood run from my veins but you saw no fault, no cracks in my heart and you knelt beside my hope torn apart. But the ghosts that we knew will flicker from view we'll live a long life so give me hope in the darkness that I will see the light
29RedRed Knight113 postsapplicationplotting
achilles halden

Curious creature. Baffling, really. Almost--illogical. Par for the course in wonderland, but no less frustrating when confronting someone as blunt as Achilles. He never had a second form taken away during Alice's death and the portals, nor did he have any special 'ability' or whatever one might call the Rose's healing or the Cheshire's evaporation and transformation skills. He was a man, no more and no less. Maybe that made understanding the problems others seemed to have so much more difficult. Or maybe finding the empathy to give a damn was too much work ninety percent of the time. That wasn't the case with Terrence. Achilles felt too much of a responsibility toward the mock turtle. And how not?

To hear Terrence claim, from his own lips, he caused his own troubles set Achilles' teeth on edge. Was this creature that foolish or did he truly believe it to be so? Or worse, was he trying to make Achilles feel better after all the Red Knight had done? How horrible to receive pity from a man whose life he'd once ruined beyond repair. Achilles pressed the heel of his palm to his temple and rubbed vigorously. Maybe in the next hundred years life would return to simplicity. It was the very least Achilles could wish for.

"So it's perfectly acceptable to refer to yourself as a mock human but it's an incredibly rude and inappropriate thing to call another one like you?" Achilles shook his head, baffled."You are less a mockery of a human than the Cheshire. Take some kind of pride in yourself and accept being what you are." He grumped, all the bad attitude of a ninety-year-old human male with silly children running around on his properly without permission in his voice. Not only was Terrence given exactly what he'd asked for - and no more or less - but the man was given a second opportunity at life, so to speak. No longer a mock turtle, the last of his kind. He was humanoid like the rest of them. He could reinvent himself if he'd like, or get a hobby, or get a strange job, or just--fucking do something other than mooning over anything and everything that happened in his life.

Responsibility over other people was such a pain in the ass. Worse than Lance. At least Achilles didn't feel guilty for Lance's continued existence as a sub par knight and paltry being. "Don't worry about it. I'm not picky." What utter cockshit. Not only was he picky about what he put in his body, he was equally as picky about who prepared it and the reason behind doing so, i.e., it being their job or it being a certain knight who wanted an extra cuddle-fuck in the early hours of the morning. Yet the red knight had zero ability to tell Terrence so. In fact, he'd probably end up drinking or eating whatever was offered and say thank you for the offer.

If Lance were to see him like this, he'd call Achilles soft. Or a very "kind" person. Or some other garbage that made Achilles twitch. Sweet nothings and doting admirations confused and distracted him; Achilles much preferred pretending like nothing happened at all and moving on with life. Achilles tripped unexpectedly as the sound of a familiar and sad song filled his ears. Familiar not because he'd heard the turtle sing it before - and he hadn't, they'd never met since their original acquaintance on the shore - but because he swore he'd heard it sung around the palace at least a few times for a long time after the Mock Turtle soup incident. Achilles flinched at the memory and the man who sang the song. What was he to say? Surely Terrence didn't sing in spite - he couldn't even accept Achilles as responsible for his whole life's destruction, no way he understood malicious intent and could formulate his own attempt. But the man couldn't enjoy a song based on his siblings' hideous deaths, right?

Right?

Break me down if it feels right, hate me now if it keeps you alright, you can break me down if it takes all your mind cause I'm so much more than meets the eye
PM
^
terrence chelony
 Posted: Aug 23 2015, 10:48 PM
........Sometimes........ he thought sadly to himself, "Why?" and sometimes he thought, "Wherefore?" and sometimes he thought, "Inasmuch as which?" and sometimes he didn't quite know what he was thinking about.
terrence chelony

"Of course I'm more willing to call myself a mock human than to call anyone else one. " Terry admitted honestly, not quite understanding why this was so confusing for Achilles to understand. Maybe it was because Achilles had always been human... And Achilles didn't seem like the type who would loathe himself enough to question that fact. After all, this stemmed from the fact that Terry loathed himself to question whether or not he was ever a real turtle.

"I don't want to be rude to anyone else, but calling myself a 'mock' anything is just what I always have been.... 'pride' isn't really something I do.. not really in my vocabulary... I understand why you'd say that, though. You're a knight. You have more to be proud of than someone like me. "

Terry wasn't prideful. Other people were prideful. Pierre was prideful, Olivia was prideful, he'd heard the White Knight and the Dodo and the Walrus were prideful. But the Mock Turtle didn't do pride. If he understood pride he wouldn't hate himself so. If he thought he had a reason to be proud of himself he wouldn't be himself. He didn't even take pride in his singing. It wasn't something he considered to be an achievement, no matter how many times people praised him.

Terry was glad to hear that Achilles wasn't picky, even if it was a complete lie. Terry didn't mind that it was a lie. He always assumed people were just accommodating him. He assumed people would always just reluctantly agree with the things he said, secretly hating him. Why wouldn't the Red Knight hate him, after all? He was a useless lump of a man, and sided with the Cat to boot. Terry was honestly surprised he hadn't been killed on the spot already.

If Achilles wasn't lying, Terry didn't know what else to think. The idea that Achilles actually cared was hard to process. It was hard for him to even understand that Pierre cared about him sometimes, on his darker days. But at least he'd known Pierre forever. They were friends. Why would Achilles care? Why should Achilles even care about what he did back then? Terry didn't get it, and he doubted he ever would. People are strange.

Terry glanced back at him and noticed that he seemed agitated by the singing, so he stopped. "I'm sorry." he said. "I sometimes forget when I'm singing... or are you bothered because you understand it?" he asked, voice almost hopeful. "Few people do. Olivia told me that it is beautiful and 'speaks to a lot of past animals' and I couldn't help but cringe. But of all people who could understand, it's probably you. Sorry if it bothers you. I'll try to stop. I forget sometimes that other people might not like my songs. Especially my sad ones...."

“We bury things so deep we no longer remember there was anything to bury. Our bodies remember. Our neurotic states remember. But we don't.” ― Jeanette Winterson

PM
^
achilles halden
 Posted: Aug 27 2015, 11:58 PM
You saw my pain washed out in the rain, broken glass, saw the blood run from my veins but you saw no fault, no cracks in my heart and you knelt beside my hope torn apart. But the ghosts that we knew will flicker from view we'll live a long life so give me hope in the darkness that I will see the light
achilles halden

Achilles scoffed so loudly his throat hurt from the unexpected display. "I am not anyone who has a right to be proud." He thought about all the shameful and grotesque things he'd done over the years, the nights he fell asleep as a young man weeping over all he had done. He pictured dragging the mad queen through the portal kicking and screaming at the top of her lungs, claw marks covering his arms and face where she fought him. Sitting there on the stairs outside bedlam wishing he had some way to help her, to save her. Knowing he'd failed yet again, in the worst way possible, knowing he had to return to Wonderland and leave her abandoned in some horrid human hospital with lunatics and murderers and pray she wasn't lobotomized while he was gone.

Falling countless times when Lance demanded he jousted. Covered in the blood of innocents at the whims of a maniac. His mother's blood splattered across his mouth and his hands. His father gurgling his last foaming breath before his untimely demise. Waking up terrified that morning to find a well of affection where it shouldn't have been. Realizing his heart wasn't pounding out of annoyance or exhaustion when lance arrived with a tray full of breakfast, but something far worse. Wearing yesterday's clothes because he'd dressed in such a panic to escape the dangerous thoughts trying to take hold, he could smell the sour stench clinging to the tunic.

"No, I'm the last person to show pride in anything." He muttered, more to himself. "You don't need pride to consider yourself a person instead of a mock human. Being alive, walking around on two feet with two human hands and a head of human hair is more than enough to make you a person." He sighed, tugging at the itchy sleeves scraping along his forearms. "You are more of a person than I have ever been or will ever be capable of becoming."

Shit. Now he was getting preachy. What was he thinking? What was he doing? Something bloody well stupid, that's what.

"I can't believe you wrote that ho--that song." He quickly deviated from the word horrible not because it wasn't well sung or well written but because of the source of the song itself. "I don't mean--I mean, feel free to sing it as much as you want I won't stop you." He took three very long, slow breaths before speaking again, trying desperately to formulate proper sentences instead of acting like a fool.

"I was merely surprised you would sing such a song, especially right now, considering..." Achilles ended that with a cough, embarrassed. Considering I slaughtered your family for that soup, and the queen didn't even eat it, he finished bitterly. "I shouldn't be surprised. Wonderland, full of strange occurrences and unbelievable levels of mania." He winced. "Not that you're a maniac, just that this world is--sorry. I'm mucking this up all over the place, I just don't know what to say after--well, after everything."

Good job, dumbass.

Break me down if it feels right, hate me now if it keeps you alright, you can break me down if it takes all your mind cause I'm so much more than meets the eye

PM
^
terrence chelony
 Posted: Aug 28 2015, 04:38 PM
terrence chelony

Terrence frowned softly as he watched Achilles's internal struggle. It was so strange to see that face on someone else. He knew it well- the face of someone who hates themself and regrets their decisions. He'd never seen it so obvious on someone else's face before.

It was hard to understand it. How could Achilles hate himself? He was young, attractive, obviously quite strong, he was a knight in service to the queen, and with the way he grumped about the other knight it was obvious the other knight cared about him. And he was surprisingly kind. Maybe more kind than the knight thought himself to be.

He would say so to the knight directly. He would tell him not to be so hard on himself. He would tell him that he's a good man... But that would be hypocritical, wouldn't it? And then this conversation would never end, and the knight seemed awfully keen for it to do so.

"...Thank you." he said finally, though he continued to give Achilles a frown for his self-deprecation. "You give good advice. I think you should follow it yourself. If I should take more pride in myself, perhaps you should too, even if neither of us think we deserve it..... I almost sound like Pierre. I should stop." he shook his head.

Terrence almost smiled as Achilles flubbed over his words, but he kept it to himself. It was a very different reaction than he was used to. He'd been getting that from Achilles a lot today. It was fascinating. Maybe he just spent too much time with Pierre to know how normal people acted.

"So you do understand it, then. I'm glad." he admitted. It was nice to know that someone understood. He'd sung the song so often, but he'd never told anyone directly in the hopes that they would understand on their own. He wasn't sure why he assumed anyone ever would. He supposed he didn't expect anyone to. But knowing that someone DID, knowing that Achilles did, made him feel better about it all.

"I thought if anyone would, it might be you. Not because I think you should care, though you obviously do. Like I said, I don't blame you for anything that happened. It was one of the first songs I ever composed, and it seems it spread on it's own so that you would know it.... It is horrible. "

He ran a hand through his hair then trailed it over the fabric of his scarf. He wanted to choose his words well, but it was hard to when the subject was so sensitive. He thought slowly, he spoke slowly.

"I know it's horrible. I wrote it to be. It is one of the ways I dealt with everything. I know it is very sad, and painful, and I didn't used to be able to sing it without crying. But... it's important, I think. And I do think it is one of my better compositions. So I like singing it."

He looked back at Achilles again "And I'm not a maniac. Manic-depressive, at best. Mostly that second bit.... Come on, my house is just up this path. "

He picked up his shoes as they passed them and began leading the way up the hill to the cliff and his quaint little home.

PM
^
achilles halden
 Posted: Sep 1 2015, 02:51 AM
achilles halden

Achilles avoided the thought entirely. Pride in himself? Impossible. There was nothing inside considered worthwhile. He killed mercilessly, he destroyed this man's entire family. He killed his own parents in cold blood, in full view of his sister. No part of his life was worth being proud of. And Achilles had accepted that as fact years ago. He hadn't changed who he was because there was no reason to do so, he would never be a good person. He would not spend a single day existing in either realm thinking he deserved to live.

And he accepted that. He didn't refute the knowledge. To hear this mock turtle who, thanks to Achilles, was all alone in this world, tell him to listen to his own advice and find some pride in himself was yet another slap in the face by life. Achilles let that part of the conversation die there, rather than responding and risking more revelations. It was better that way, to protect himself. Besides, he shouldn't back Terrence into reassuring him--he clearly didn't enjoy doing so, by the way his face screwed up at the end.

"Of course I know it." He mumbled and shook his head. Beautiful Soup had been a stitch in his chest, constantly ripped at and replaced. Achilles had never before experienced the horror of genocide - which it was, though their forms might differ they were all Wonderlanders at heart - nor the reality of destroying an entire species with his own hands before. It truly baffled him that humans did this regularly and were proud when it left Achilles sick to his stomach after centuries. "It's...it's very good, I guess. From a music standpoint?" Achilles rubbed his armor, tracing the lines with slow fingers. He didn't really care for music, though he'd listen to it if prompted. But he also didn't want to insult the guy over something like that.

The song that drew infamy to that fateful mock turtle soup.

"It's important to remember the past." That spoken from experience. "To see what brought you to where you are. To know what it does to you." Achilles sped up to keep close to Terrence, though why he couldn't fathom. He shouldn't be there. He would do better to leave and leave the poor man to his sad shack by the seaside. But he didn't. By some grotesque need to make himself suffer, Achilles followed Terrence come hell or high water.

"I wouldn't classify you as manic. Believe me, I've seen manic at its core. You're quite far from that."

PM
^
terrence chelony
 Posted: Sep 2 2015, 02:36 PM
terrence chelony

"it's very good, I guess. From a music standpoint?"

Terrence noticed the hesitation in his voice. Not a music fan. Terry could tell, though he appreciated the effort to lie. Terrence didn't have enough confidence in his own work to be insulted by the notion. Terry never really took insult to anything. The take insult would mean disagreeing with the assessment.

He decided against thanking Achilles for the half-forced compliment. It wasn't necessary and he knew that if he thanked him it would sound insincere or bitter and he didn't want to make the knight any more uncomfortable than he was already. And the subject of the song was admittedly quite heavy. Best to abandon it.

"I try to forget." He admitted honestly."I'd probably be happier if I did, in general. If I could convince myself that I'm human, and that the past didn't matter anymore, I think it would be nice. I'm not very good at forgetting, though. I have a good memory. "

They made their way up to the shack. It had a beautiful view of nearly the entire beach. There were no trees to block any angle, and the cliffside was tall enough that even the woods behind them didn't disrupt the sight-lines. Both sunrise and sunset would be wonderful sights from here.

Terrence didn't stop to admire the view he saw every day. He dropped his sand-filled shoes at the door and let Achilles inside.

It was a very nice house, on the inside. The kitchen and living room were one large open space with windows on all sides. The cross-breeze they provided was lovely and cooling in the hot summer day. There were two doors- one a bathroom and one a bedroom. It was all Terrence needed.

"Take off your armor and have a seat, if you'd like." Terrence offered, going to the kitchen and putting on a kettle to boil for tea and to make coffee. "Leave it anywhere. I know it's hot. You probably feel like a lobster in a pot in that armor. Far worse than a shell, though being cold-blooded then helped. "

He was rambling slightly. He didn't really care. He was comfortable with either rambling or silence, and he had trouble doing anything in-between. The silence was his own. The rambling he was certain he got from Pierre. After all, if he were left to his own mind he'd be too busy crying to ramble. He did wish he was a bit more calm around Achilles, though.... but that was because he didn't realize Achilles was uncomfortable specifically BECAUSE of how calm Terry seemed.

PM
^
achilles halden
 Posted: Sep 11 2015, 06:32 PM
achilles halden

"You and me both." Achilles mumbled, hopefully only heard by himself alone. "The past has a way of making itself known when we try to forget." Kind of like right now, he thought to himself. He'd begun to get comfortable in his new role for Jaq. He rarely killed, the guillotine was locked away gathering dust. People had somewhat forgotten what he was. Lance was a good balance, someone who softened Achilles' edges, took all his bad moods and gave Achilles a place to funnel them outside of violence. Though he still got violent with Lance. Still, it was an improvement. He felt almost better, as though he could let the whole of his past dissipate in the wind.

And then Terrence came whistling into his path. A bad omen or fate reminding him he had too many wrongs he could never undo or pay for. That even when he thought he did something good amidst the bad, he hadn't. Would it have been more of a mercy to let Terrence die back then? Would it have saved the wretched creature from suffering? There was no way to know, and no way to ask.

Somehow the little shack looked homely and inviting despite the melancholy inhabitant. And it was poised on the perfect spot, overlooking the ocean. The Red Knight paused to admire the view. Even if he hated having days off and wasting his time, even if he loathed the sand and the sun and the blinding reflection off the waves, it was still nice. Pretty, even. He followed the turtle inside as he was bid, obediently stripping off the armor. He would have done so regardless. Sand had started to gather in uncomfortable places.

The armor hit the floor and sand scattered about as he drew his hands over his body, from his shoulders to the annoying sand at his trousers. How it even got in that deep, Achilles would never be certain. "Thanks." He drew both hands through his hair and worked to get the sand out of his scalp. Impossible but worth a try. Then he winced. "Sorry about the mess." But he didn't offer to clean it. That wasn't even in the spectrum of reactions Achilles had in his retinue. "It's pretty damn hot but I'd rather be hot than dead with a sword through my chest." It was one of the many mantras Achilles had to make him feel a little better with the armor on. Another was no one can see the man underneath if you're covered in bloody armor. That one was surprisingly comforting. "Nice place."

PM
^
terrence chelony
 Posted: Sep 12 2015, 01:07 PM
terrence chelony

Terry felt very much the same as Achilles, about omens and being unable to forget the past. He'd been doing so well lately. He could honestly say that he hadn't cried for no reason in a significant amount of time. He'd been doing better. He'd almost begun to feel something like pride for himself. He didn't know what was making him better, perhaps the caterpillar's cures were finally starting to take some hold, or perhaps nothing bad had happened for so long he had nothing to complain about.

And then he had to be reminded of his past lately. The worst part of his past, the part he never spoke about. It had started with Olivia not that long ago saying that 'Beautiful Soup' spoke to a lot of past animals in Wonderland. That was the first time he'd thought about the origins of the song in so long. The first time he really thought of it as the genocide it was rather than just some unfortunate thing that happened. And now, Achilles, the Red Knight of his childhood nightmares, was in his house... and he was about to serve him tea.

There was a ridiculousness to it that rivaled even the Hatter's nonsense. Terrence had begun to wonder if it was all some form of hideous dream. Some side effect of human anti-depressants or perhaps a fever dream brought on by an encroaching illness. But he knew he wasn't hallucinating. He was just in Wonderland. Even without her muchness this land was always curious. It made him miss London.

Terry noticed him admiring the view. He forgot sometimes that it was probably exceptionally beautiful, especially for someone who'd never seen it before. After all it had a view of the entire coastline. If Wonderland were more populated, a town certainly could have sprung up here that would have rivaled the Royal city. Fortunately for Terry, no such town existed. He liked the solitude, most of the time.

"Don't worry about the sand." Terry said gently, scavenging his cupboards for the biscuits he'd promised. He eventually found them and set them on the coffee table in the middle of the living room. "I'm constantly dragging sand around. I'll clean it later. "

He finished up the tea and set down two cups beside the biscuits, pouring it for the both of them. "Is it a nice place?" he asked "I suppose so. I forget sometimes. I don't have guests very often... though you probably could have guessed that too. I'm not really a very social person.... you seem like the type not to bring guests very often either. "

PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (2) 1 2 
Add Reply
New Poll

Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules Collapse  

skinned exclusively for across the chessboard by asya