chatter
  • across the chessboard
  • welcome
    welcome to across the chessboard! we're an alice in wonderland based site with an original plot and slight modern dystopian twist and canon characters from alice's adventures in wonderland and through the looking glass and what alice found there, both by lewis carroll. for a longer summary, please visit our information center here. if you have any questions, feel free to give an admin a shout in the cbox (it's to your left- just click the chatter button and it should pop open). again, welcome, and we hope you join us!

it is currently summer 2015 in london.
    it is currently summer-ish in wonderland.

• stats & info
    Wonderland wasn't always this way. There was a time when it mirrored medieval England, albeit with a few magical elements: a few quirks and eccentricities that made it truly unique. While all feared the Queen's mercurial temper and the fine blade of her Guillotine, all was well, until a little girl named Alice Liddell disturbed the status quo and sparked a revolution. The kingdom began to fall into decay as the taint of the modern world invaded. History is beginning to repeat itself and no one is happy. As the Queen of Hearts tangles in a battle of wits and riddles with the Cheshire Cat, the rest are starting to wonder ... is it true that the White Rabbit is bringing humans to Wonderland when they themselves are banned from going to London?

myrmidones of the queen — 12/∞ 
    myrmidones of the cat — 08/∞ 
    unaffiliated — 09/∞ 
  • featured
    asya
    fintan
    character
    judas
    male
    aria
    female
    jacqueline & maixent
    pairing
    empty gold
    thread

Add Reply
New Poll

september, attn: qas
sophie webster
 Posted: Aug 24 2015, 07:02 PM
Three little birds sat on my window And they told me I don't need to worry Summer came like cinnamon, so sweet
20Redpansy32 postsapplicationplotting
sophie webster

Field and flowers, flowers and fields, they were the typical places that Sophie liked to frequent, but this time she decided to uncover more of Wonderland. She had found a clearing a little ways from the flower bed that she had first gained consciousness of herself and her surroundings. No matter how many distractions she found herself encircled with, she could always feel ghost petals missing from her human body. Her bare feet felt the scratch of the tall grass, crushing under her weight as if she were a giant. That alone was not enough to avoid the other pieces of grass that touched her legs, like little fingers that danced across her skin. The feeling gave her chills along her spine as she crossed the clearing. Her eyes glanced up at the sky, giant clouds were covering the light of the sun, and she looked behind her at the path she made.

The silence of her surroundings was deafening, was there anyone around? She turned around to see a single thin line in a sea of green from where she the earth bore her mark. There was no one here, not a single soul to watch. Her gaze fell down to the ground, her feet disappeared under the grass. A gust brushed her white dress at her knees, combed through her tresses, a mess of brunette across her visage. Her thin eyelids closed over her eyes and she danced. First her arms lifted up; perhaps they became petals in that second because they began to flow in the wind. Her body danced around as if she were a flower again, a piece of flora in the midst of a summer’s gust.

you
PM
^
qaseem achari
 Posted: Aug 30 2015, 08:00 PM
n/a
38BlackCaterpillar36 postsapplicationplotting
qaseem achari

Hours or days? Sometimes it was difficult to tell how much time had passed, particularly in Wonderland. Time moved so differently than it had in London, and the addition of consciousness altering substances into his body did nothing to improve Qaseem’s sense of time. He was vaguely aware of receiving a new batch of goods from Maxient. It was strange how such a small passage of time in Wonderland could lead to such changes in the drugs being used by Londoners. It seemed like only a few years since he had frequented the opium dens of nineteenth century London, and now the only way to get opioids was in pill form and with a prescription. What were these humans doing to their world? How that rabbit was still managing to get his hands on things was still undetermined, and the difficulty it took to procure meant that Qas was now saving those pills only for his highest paying customers. On his last few trips he’d found that adding crack rocks to whatever he had been smoking offered a much different high than opium ever could, and in its pure powder form the high could last for much longer.

A functioning addict. That was the term people from Alice’s world had used. Perhaps it had to do with the fact that his body’s own chemical make-up was quite different than that of a human’s, despite his current human-like shape. Despite the fact that the bump he’d done early was quickly wearing off, Qaseem was still feeling euphoric, and his sense were heightened more than normal. It was this hyper-alter state that brought his attention to the young girl who was dancing alone in the clearing. Hidden in the grass, still able to go unnoticed regardless of the fact that he was now much larger than his usual three inches, the Caterpillar watched her as a predator might watch his prey. She was beautiful, though he could not quite place how he knew her face. So many had changed from their original shape, it was hardly possible to tell who anyone was anymore. But this face he had seen before.

The flower garden. That was how he knew her. With so many beautiful flowers to attend to, it was hard give affection to all of them. And yet their beauty was unmistakable. The way she was dancing it was as if she still had petals, so her change must be newer than that of her sisters who had frequented London when the portals were open. The youthful innocence displayed chased away any doubts in his mind of which flower this might be. A small smile graced his lips as he stepped out of the grass to make his presence known.

”Hello Pansy.” His choice to identify her as such was in part to assure himself that he had guessed correctly, and in part because he could not quite remember her chosen name.

The devil doesn't come dressed in a red cape and pointy horns. He comes as everything you've ever wished for.
PM
^
sophie webster
 Posted: Aug 31 2015, 11:00 PM
Three little birds sat on my window And they told me I don't need to worry Summer came like cinnamon, so sweet
sophie webster

Her hands swayed above her head as her hips twisted this way and that; the soft of her dress tickled the tall grass. Although she couldn’t feel the energy and strength of the earth, she knew that it was just as alive as it had been when she was physically connected to it. There might have been a little less magic in the air, but it wasn’t her job to be preoccupied with what was out of her control. She had been a little flower in a flowerbed, her job was to sing, be fragrant and stay beautiful. It had been easy living, not this business of being a human with all these extra nuisances. What was the point of freedom if it only allowed you to stay in Wonderland? Knowledge was all the more terrifying to come into possession of, with it came the awareness of what a wide, open world was out there. And it was not for her.

Her eyes shot open as she registered a voice interrupting her dance. She froze, arms gliding down to her sides, her gaze focusing in on the moving figure approaching her. How did he know who she was? Wisps of her hair covered the side of her face, letting the wind have its way with her thin brunette strands. She could pick out bits of recognizable expression points on his face, but couldn’t put it to his original form. Nonetheless, she wanted to know who he was, something about him meant a change. He was someone important, or someone who would become important to her. There wasn’t any discernable evidence of this yet, call it a sixth sense, but she knew he was a walking manifestation of her future. The thought quickened her heartbeat, like watching a mirage of what could be shimmer before her.

“Hi.” Sophie automatically smiled up at him, unable to keep her giddiness to herself. “You can call me Sophie, but I don’t think I know who you are?” She tilted her head to the side, a shy closed lip smile on her face. Her eyes studied his curls, wondering what it would be it would feel like—the grass? Perhaps like tufts of cotton. Curiosity moved her feet before she had the conscious thought to do so. She laced her fingers together, trying her hardest to keep them to herself.

“What are you doing here?” She was pretty deep in the forest; it wasn’t an easy place to maneuver. A second ago she was dancing by herself, probably looking very odd to him. “I think you interrupted my dance.” She giggled to herself, feeling nervous and excited all at once. Her fingers pushed her hair behind her ear, gazing at the ground while she did so. “It could have been a very important rain dance you were interrupting.” She caught his eyes again, and went up on her tiptoes to get better height on him, while leaning toward him. Like a spider’s web, she felt like she had been caught in his sticky gaze, unable to recover the command of her eyes.

you
PM
^
qaseem achari
 Posted: Sep 5 2015, 10:31 PM
n/a
38BlackCaterpillar36 postsapplicationplotting
qaseem achari

Even in human form she was so beautiful, dancing and swaying with her petals arms in the air, her oneness with the earth enchanting him as he watched. It was almost a shame to disturb such a peaceful creature, but Qaseem had never been one to just stand by and watched. Mischievously attracted to innocence, he couldn't help wanting to take her into his grasp and mold her to his will. A psychopath, some might say, the way he sought to manipulate people for almost no reason at all. And those who trusted too easily were such wonderful targets. All the better if they were beautiful, as Sophie was. There was something different about her, though. Unable to put his finger on what that quality might be, he watched as the little human flower froze and turned her gaze toward him, and enjoyed observing her curiosity as she studied him.

Who are you's were seldom directed at himself, usually he was the one asking other little lost souls. Souls like Alice. But who was he? A complex question to be sure. A psychopath for one, that had already been established. Everyone in Wonderland was a little bit mad, though. A healer. An Addict. Disloyal to the crown unless it suited his own interests. Loyal to the Cat unless it didn't. Did these things make up his being? Who are any of us, really. That smile was so innocent. How could he ever convey who he really was in a way she might understand? "Who am I? Once I was the Caterpillar, only three inches high. Perhaps I am still the Caterpillar. Seems such a silly thing to be called now, so Qaseem must suffice." The distributor of goods. That's who he was, as his name suggested. Whether or not those goods were of interest to Sophie was yet to be determined, not that it mattered much. He had plenty of customers, and he had never been the type to badger someone else into purchasing his wares. Those who needed them knew where to find him.

Watching as she fidgeted, he couldn't help but doubt that the dance had been of any importance at all. But her giggles amused him and who was he to stop her from continuing? "I do apologize for interrupting you, then," he said, holding her gaze, enthralled by the light and innocence he found there. "By all means, please continue sweet Sophie." However, he made no move to leave her alone and let her dance in peace. In fact, he settled himself down in the grass still riding the end of his high with every intention to stay and watch if she would let him.

The devil doesn't come dressed in a red cape and pointy horns. He comes as everything you've ever wished for.

PM
^
sophie webster
 Posted: Sep 10 2015, 09:39 PM
sophie webster

How could she have forgotten! Her face lite up as it dawned on her. She remembered watching Ann conversing with the Caterpillar when she was too young to understand what they were talking about. Her sisters usually enjoyed his company as he smoked something that wasn’t too pleasant on her senses. Sophie had the vague memory of him as a wee thing, much smaller than he appeared now, looming over her unlike his previous physical form. She supposed she was much different from before as well, but not too much to be unrecognizable to him. “I do remember you. When I was young you liked to speak with my sisters.” She wanted to include that he never paid her any mind; the fact that she was usually hiding behind a sister had slipped her mind.

Sophie hadn’t changed much from when she was younger, still aching to feel like she was a part of things. She wanted to be accepted and loved by her sisters, always on the trail of some discussion too far along to jump into. This time, she could finally see what the hype was about this Caterpillar, what was he really like? “Apology accepted.” She tilted her chin up defiantly to give him a slight nod, a smile never leaving her face. Continuing her dance from where she left off, before being so rudely interrupted, she lifted her arms and continued her carefree way.

She kicked up her knees high, skipping in place, while twirling slowly. Her arms were her extended petals, flowing any which way. Closing her eyes and forgetting that she had an audience, she continued on her merry way before another obstacle came her way of course. Her foot came down dramatically on a sharp rock on the ground, an unlikely spot for it to be in this whole field, and even more improbable for Sophie to have found it. Her eyes instantly opened and her mouth filled with air as she gasped in surprise. She lost her balance as her body tilted backwards away from the pain. The ground knocked the wind out of her, beautiful as it may be; it was still a far fall from a pillow of clouds. Laying in the grass, the sight of the blue sky in her field of vision, she would have appreciated it another time, but she lay there with an aching foot. Too embarrassed and beaten to move, she lay there catching her breath for a moment before speaking, “I’m fine. It’s all fine here.” She felt the rock wedged into her foot, but refused to look at it. Maybe it wasn’t as bad as it felt?

you

PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules Collapse  

skinned exclusively for across the chessboard by asya