chatter
  • across the chessboard
  • welcome
    welcome to across the chessboard! we're an alice in wonderland based site with an original plot and slight modern dystopian twist and canon characters from alice's adventures in wonderland and through the looking glass and what alice found there, both by lewis carroll. for a longer summary, please visit our information center here. if you have any questions, feel free to give an admin a shout in the cbox (it's to your left- just click the chatter button and it should pop open). again, welcome, and we hope you join us!

it is currently summer 2015 in london.
    it is currently summer-ish in wonderland.

• stats & info
    Wonderland wasn't always this way. There was a time when it mirrored medieval England, albeit with a few magical elements: a few quirks and eccentricities that made it truly unique. While all feared the Queen's mercurial temper and the fine blade of her Guillotine, all was well, until a little girl named Alice Liddell disturbed the status quo and sparked a revolution. The kingdom began to fall into decay as the taint of the modern world invaded. History is beginning to repeat itself and no one is happy. As the Queen of Hearts tangles in a battle of wits and riddles with the Cheshire Cat, the rest are starting to wonder ... is it true that the White Rabbit is bringing humans to Wonderland when they themselves are banned from going to London?

myrmidones of the queen — 12/∞ 
    myrmidones of the cat — 08/∞ 
    unaffiliated — 09/∞ 
  • featured
    asya
    fintan
    character
    judas
    male
    aria
    female
    jacqueline & maixent
    pairing
    empty gold
    thread

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

BRO'S BROS, Mock Turtle | Blake | White Knight
terrence chelony
 Posted: Mar 19 2015, 12:49 AM
........Sometimes........ he thought sadly to himself, "Why?" and sometimes he thought, "Wherefore?" and sometimes he thought, "Inasmuch as which?" and sometimes he didn't quite know what he was thinking about.
36BlackMock Turtle117 postsapplicationplotting
terrence chelony

Personality

Terrence is a very melancholic soul. He can't help himself. He's been so depressive for so long it has become a bit of a bad habit. He spends most of his day wallowing in his own self-pity or worrying if everyone around him hates him (usually deciding that they do). He hates crowds and the noise associated with them. Deep, deep down, however, he loves to sing and dance and spend time with the very few people he lets into his personal space. He does actually have fun once in a while, whether he acts like he's enjoying it or not. His face is just stuck in that permanently teary-eyed state.

Naturally, Terry is very dramatic. He has less to be sad about than many other people, but he just can't stop himself from crying at any moderately unfortunate thing that crosses his path. He has a bad habit of speaking his mind too bluntly, and this can lead to trouble.

Love

Terry doesn't believe anyone could ever love such a failure of a creature as a mock turtle, so attempting a relationship with him would be a constant effort. He is more likely to believe that a flirting attempt is a ploy to get something out of him than a legitimate attempt at intimacy. However, once you are his friend, you are his friend for life. If you manage that, surely it could escalate and blossom into a beautiful (if not incredibly clingy) romance. Because he does not limit his friend group in any way, and could potentially end up in a romantic relationship with ANY of his friends, I would call him pan-romantic (though he might change that to pansexual if he shows himself to be interested in that sort or thing).

Friendship

Like love, becoming friends with Terry takes a lot of time and effort and it will be hard to tell if and when it happens. Since he always acts like the world is going to end, it can be hard to realize if he accepts your company or not. The best way to tell is if he isn't rude to you and if he seems comfortable dancing and singing with you. He has a very dry sense of humor that is very similar to his usual depressive statements, but if you can get him to laugh then you are already his friend. The best advice for becoming his friend is to try to ignore his depressive self-deprecation and be yourself with him. That's how Gryphon does it. After all, Gryphon said "It's all his fancy, that: he hasn't got no sorrow." Once you are his friend, he will follow you to the ends of the world, even if it means doing things he doesn't like.

Enemies

It is very easy to be Terry's enemy. He is already certain everyone hates him, so to find out one person actually does would come as no surprise to him. He will always play the victim, however, and will not actively drive anyone away.If he doesn't like you, he will simply be his usual blunt, melancholic self and wait for you to go away on your own. The best ways to get on his bad side are to interrupt his songs and remind him of his 'mock' status (especially in reference to mock turtle soup).

Terrence Chelony — 36 — Mock Turtle — Black — Depressive
Personality

Blake has always been a very quiet man. He likes to sit and read, staying as far from the drama of Wonderland as possible (as difficult as that is). He was an English Professor in London, and so still has that friendly, snarky demeanor. He had a wife years ago, and he thought he would never find love again. He was contented with that. But then he met a beautiful young man who opened his eyes to his own feelings. Now, as he was dragged to Wonderland, even that has been taken from him. He's lost everything, and he needs to rebuild his life from the ground up.

Love

Blake had a wife once. She was beautiful and kind, and they could have been happy together if Blake were a different man. But, they separated and Blake did his best to be okay with that. He was so deep in the closet that he didn't even think of it. He was alone for years. He'd grown comfortable with that loneliness. He thought he was happy. Until Luca, a young community centre owner, gently coaxed him out of the closet. They started to build a life together. In fact, Blake was about to move into an apartment with him until he was kidnapped to Wonderland.

Needless to say, Love is very much a closed group to him now. He doesn't even want to think about finding someone else to replace Luca. If the topic is even breached it will be met with a sharp glare and adamant refusal. Do not attempt. Try being his friend instead.

Though, there is always the chance that he feels vulnerable, and misses Luca's gentle touch. In a moment of weakness it is conceivable that, in the right environment, he could make a mistake and allow himself a little physical intimacy. After all, he was denied that part of his being for so long before he found Luca. It would be no wonder that he would have trouble abandoning those feelings completely. His heart will always belong to Luca, however.

Friendship

Blake has always been quite easy to be friends with. He is polite and smart, and just a little sassy but never so far as to offend. If you want to have a long discussion about your favorite arts, especially written ones, he will gladly participate. If you are having personal troubles and need someone to cry to, he will be there with a hot cup of tea and a shoulder to cry on (though he can't give relationship advice. He never could, but now he'll have even less to say).

However, do not expect him to go out socializing without some reason. He was never especially sociable, but coming to Wonderland didn't help that one bit. He's far more interested in spending all his time in the Royal Library or focusing on what little work he has to do. He is doing his best to learn everything about Wonderland he can, maybe to find a way to get home, maybe because he was working on his Doctorate before and he's slightly peeved he didn't get to finish.

Enemies

In spite of his cheerful disposition and friendly nature, the little man does have a short temper and an over-protective streak. There isn't much he can do about it but yell and frown at you, given that he has the physical prowess of your average garden slug, but he will be quite miffed. He gets quite upset over personal insults, feeling like he's gone though quite enough and he deserves some peace, but that might not be enough to make you his enemy. Mentioning his failed love life or suggesting he 'get out there' will definitely get him to glare. And if you're one of the louder residents of Wonderland it is quite possible he will avoid you because you are clearly not someone he can enjoy being around while he reads.

Another thing to note, for friends and enemies, is that he will readily pass out at the sight of blood. He used to have a very active policy in his classroom that if you have a large paper cut or otherwise need a bandage, do not show it to him. Just go get a bandage from the cupboard. He is very insecure about this fact, and has been working to fix it. Especially now that he's in the castle and having to see the Red Knight more often than not....

Blake Everly — 44 — Card — Red —still adjusting

Personality

Lance.... oh Lance. How does one describe a personality like Lance? He would like to be described as *HONORABLE*, *CHIVALROUS*, *STRONG*, and all of those fine words that one should use to describe a knight.... most others would probably go with 'vain', 'egotistical', 'dumb as a post'. He is probably a little of all of these things, maybe even a jerk with a heart of gold.

Love

Lance is an absolute romantic, having attempted to absorb every bit of literature on the knight's code of chivalry while in London. If you are a lady he will open doors for you, stand when you enter a room, kiss your hand. He is a firm believer that "No one should be deprived of love without the very best of reasons", " a true lover considers nothing good except what he thinks will please his beloved", and "every act of a lover ends in the thought of his beloved".

HOWEVER, this does not make him the ideal boyfriend to any prospective mates. He also thinks that jealousy and love are nearly the same thing, and that "love is always increasing or decreasing", and "if love diminishes, it quickly fails and rarely revives". This makes him a very flighty man, constantly chasing new passions. He also thinks that "the easy attainment of love makes it of little value; difficulty of attainment makes it prized", so he is constantly going after things he can't possibly hope to attain (such as the affections of the Queen).

(all quotes from the 31 Rules of Courtly Love by Andreas Capellanus, written in 12th Century France)

Friendship

If Lance decides you aren't some kind of villain, then you are automatically his friend by default whether YOU like him or not. He will invite you jousting, offer to go riding with you, or go out drinking with you. Naturally all of these things become competitions, but they are all good-natured. He likes making friends and he wants to do his best to make his friends into the best people they can be. He has a lot of hope for everyone.

Another good sign that he has decided you are his GOOD friend is if he yells while speaking to you when you're only 5 feet away. He is quite a loud and boisterous man, rivaling even Pierre the Gryphon in that respect. He has a bit of a flair for the dramatic, so if you start arguing with him he will turn it into a scene until he decides the skit is over and he decides it is time to return to whatever he was doing before.

Enemies

ANYONE who works against the Queen is an enemy to Lance. The Cat and anyone who sides with him are guilty until proven innocent (though it doesn't take much convincing for Lance to like you). If you are a large mythical creature of Wonderland, he's probably tried to kill you at least once (and either failed or got too scared to go through with the attempt). If you say something bad about the Queen, he will absolutely take that as a direct insult and probably declare a duel with you. If you say something bad about a lady in his presence, he will defend her honor no matter who she is.

If he isn't threatening to kill you or immediately engaged in a duel with you, the best way to tell if Lance doesn't like you is if he gets quiet. If Lance lowers his voice on his own will, it is probably because you said something he didn't like or he is attempting to plan how to kill you later. He rarely follows up on his threats, but he is very good at holding grudges until something is done to make up for it (usually offering to drink with him or joust with him can fix his hatred quite quickly).

Lance Chevalier — 30 — White Knight — Red — loyalist
Plot page goes here! List or paragraph style, doesn't matter. Please use < p > for line breaks. This will scroll if need be.
name — age in letters — canon/occupation — membergroup — defining trait
PM
^
fintan travers
 Posted: Mar 24 2015, 12:16 AM
flashing lights & we took a wrong turn & we fell down a rabbit hole you held on tight to me cause nothing's as it seems i'm spinning out of control didn't they tell us don't rush into things haven't you heard what becomes of curious minds we found wonderland you & i got lost in it & we pretended it could last forever
37Greywhite rabbit42 postsapplicationplotting
fintan travers

fintan & mock turtle
kind of a pest — the white rabbit really doesn't have time for anyone who sits around and wallows in their own self-pity (he's all about getting off your ass and doing things on your own), so terrence is, like, the epitome of the kind of person fintan can't stand. that being said, fintan is good friends with judas, so he does try to keep in mind that terrence swore loyalty to the cat.

payton & mock turtle
friendly acquaintances — payton and his twin spent the majority of their time growing up getting to know pretty much everyone in an effort to spin even more imaginative stories, so they probably know each other. payton, at his core, is a soft soul, so he definitely would be the kind to come across terrence and then just hang out and let terrence do his thing. (plus he thinks the songs are kind of interesting.)
PMEmail
^
tempest mirakel
 Posted: Mar 24 2015, 06:46 PM
Follow me down to the river Drink while the water is clean Follow me down to the river tonight I'll be down here on my knees
33RedBandersnatch32 postsapplicationplotting
tempest mirakel

march hare & mock turtle
so obviously these two would know each other, cause pierre and ruby are close friends and pierre and terry are close friends. so for the sake of pierre alone, ruby would be friendly with terry. but i also think she'd see his dreary attitude as a challenge. she'd constantly be trying to make him laugh or to shock him out of melancholy. i think it would be fun to play but that they'd likely get along well. after all, if pierre is close with terry, then he must be good people because pierre is good people.

bandersnatch & mock turtle
not quite sure how this would go. i think tempest could either find him tedious or refreshing. frankly her own attitude towards people is that she doesn't care one way or the other about them until they give her a reason otherwise. so perhaps the best thing to do is either go with what terry things of the bandersnatch or thread and see what happens. your choice!
PM
^
olivia nightspurre
 Posted: Mar 28 2015, 02:48 AM
Sometimes the sound of a thousand whispering words can confuse, but when you´re sleeping... They shift and slide together. Bring meaning to the canyon's cry. So I - I keep on dreaming, I live to dream again...
25RedLarkspur76 postsapplicationplotting
olivia nightspurre

Olivia & Terrence
If they had a past that would be kind of cool. What I’m thinking (shoot me down) is that Olivia was there for his good days-when he sang and danced and was happy as a mock turtle can be. But, she was not there for him when he was at his lows. And I think that Terrence would have called her on that. And I think that maybe Olivia would feel guilty that she let him down and might be trying to regain/ or keep his favor.

PMEmail
^
olivia nightspurre
 Posted: Mar 31 2015, 08:29 AM
Sometimes the sound of a thousand whispering words can confuse, but when you´re sleeping... They shift and slide together. Bring meaning to the canyon's cry. So I - I keep on dreaming, I live to dream again...
25RedLarkspur76 postsapplicationplotting
olivia nightspurre

Olivia & Terrence
While Terry likes being part of a crowd Olivia likes the independance one gets being in a big city. The life of the city, and the rhythm that comes along with it, seems to attract then both (I'm assuming) and would definatley draw then closer as friends.I love the idea if bonding over the stories told by music. And getting together in London to hear musicians together would be really cool to me! In wonderland that bond has definatley extented to other things, maybe a certain closeness and mutal understanding (?) Olivia's search for a way out of wonderland could be something that mock turtle could be interested in as well? Or would he be passive and whisyfully hope for the portals to open?

PMEmail
^
lael roane
 Posted: Mar 31 2015, 08:22 PM

Lael & BlakeLael is a teacher as well, though she teaches art classes. I think she'd find Blake adorable in his own little way. She'd be friendly with him.
^
blake everly
 Posted: Mar 31 2015, 10:57 PM
I seem to be having this tremendous difficulty with my lifestyle. As soon as I reach some kind of definite policy about what is my kind of music and my kind of restaurant and my kind of overdraft, people start blowing up my kind of planet and throwing me out of their kind of spaceships!
44RedCard124 postsapplicationplotting
blake everly

Blake & Lael
Blake appreciates art of all forms, and would definitely become fast friends with Lael. He probably thinks her to be a bit young, and he could certainly never hope to keep up with her social nature and adventurous wanderings. Perhaps she could drag him out to have fun out on the town once in a while.
PM
^
lael roane
 Posted: Mar 31 2015, 11:15 PM

Lael & BlakeYes! I love this! She'd find him adorable and would actually look up to him for his wisdom and such. I can see her dragging him out to a festival promising it will be more fun than studying. Haha
^
guinevere hansen
 Posted: Apr 1 2015, 07:55 AM

Gwen & TerrenceSo, aside from the fact that I adore Brody, I think he's adorable and highly talented... I think Gwen would be drawn to him in a sense that... she's this ball of light, energy and seeks out shadows for some reason. Whether its because of the life she's lived or the artist in her finds it quite fascinating... I don't think his melancholy would bother her in the least, she'd be quite patient and hope to bring out the dry, subtle humor, the singing and dancing.
^
terrence chelony
 Posted: Apr 1 2015, 10:09 AM
........Sometimes........ he thought sadly to himself, "Why?" and sometimes he thought, "Wherefore?" and sometimes he thought, "Inasmuch as which?" and sometimes he didn't quite know what he was thinking about.
36BlackMock Turtle117 postsapplicationplotting
terrence chelony

Terry & Gwen
Terrence isn't sure how he'd feel being around someone who has more reason to be sad than he does. He's been working on his outlook on life lately, and he'd probably try to be happy for her to give her less to worry about in her life, if he could manage it.
PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (2) 1 2 
Add Reply
New Poll

Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules Collapse  

skinned exclusively for across the chessboard by asya